Something killing chickens

We had a similar incident, and it was a raccoon. It reached through the holes of the wire and broke necks and left them. Only one had its head completely pulled off. Poor girls were so trusting and tame they went up to the fence to see what it was. The only 2 that survived from that pen were the 2 americaunas that are scared of the wind. So sorry for what you've gone through!

Last edited:
Animal control said owl I'm pretty sure as coon didn't do this unless it was maybe mom and baby's sorry I'm coon Hunter deal with them a lot. This is why I think it's not a coon. It pulled them through the fence 2 feet off the ground. No scratch marks or prints. Birds scattered everywhere for 30 yards straight line back in the woods. After investigating the left overs the chest meat would be eatin and the Hart nothing else. The crawls would be ripped out and about a foot from the body. And out of 13 birds in 2 nights all but 3 are missing there heads

I can't understand from the description how an owl could do that.

Pulling a chicken through a wire fence is a raccoon's modus operandi. I've seen it and I once had a rooster in a cage for a couple hours after dark and when I went to secure it, he had been pulled through the cage. Owls don't have long strong tiny hands.

Back
Top Bottom