Something other than chickens?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LindseyM12, Jun 16, 2011.

1. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Not sure if this is the best place to post. I'm wanting to raise something other than chickens ducks an geese. Something to make some money with, something that lays a decent amount of eggs for selling, something that sells good. Any ideas?

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    quail

3. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    I don't know about eggs, but I've heard of people renting white pigeons out to weddings...

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:x2
    Coturnix lay like crazy, hatch in 17 days and are mature at 6-8 weeks (breeding or butchering). There must not be many around here because I was able to sell the day-old chicks for $2 each and the adults for $6 each. I only had about a dozen breeders, but they managed to pay my feed bill for all my critters.

5. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Butterflies! We got a dozen for my DD wedding and it was $150.00 with overnight shipping in a cooler. It was SO worth it though. Many people get a butterflie for each guest to release but we had 150 guests and I couldn't do that one! We are native american and the legend is that if you whisper wour wish to the buttlerfly it will carry it to the sprit and your wish will come true. I have thought about it myself.

6. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    What if you raised meat fowl or rabbits for meat? If you check out the Meat Birds ETC section, you could get more ideas along those lines. [​IMG]

7. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Whoa! Holy expensive! [​IMG] That would be really cool, though. You should try quail. I think you'd like them.

8. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    If you have a city with a large asian population,
    silkies for meat (black bone chicken) sels for $5lb, no butchering needed (they use feet and beaks so whole is perferred).

or quail eggs are also in demand, they're used alot in bento boxes (I got quail to provide me with my own stash).

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Yep! I paid a zillion bucks for them for my wedding! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by