something really weird has happened. 2 BLUE eggs from 1 chicken!!!

So what you are saying is that the "welsummer" is probably a mixed breed because it has blue feet. Could it be possible for that to be the one that laid the blue egg. Also my autralorp is 8 months old but her comb is very small for her age it almost looks like a pea comb an easter egger would have. I am going to be very sad if the " welsummer " turns out to be an easter egger. I was really looking forward to having dark brown eggs

Unless you actually see her lay a brown egg, I am guessing your Wellie isn't a Wellie at all, but a cross. Do a search on here for EEs, etc. There will be more info there.

my welsummer has layed 3 eggs in 3 hours many times, today i went out to gather at 8:30 and got one, i forgot to bring in their treat contianer went back out a 11:00 and she was sitting on 2 more

Just to let you know, it is possible for a chicken to lay two eggs within a 24 hour period. It's rare, but has happened here. Most times, one of the eggs has no shell. So i suspect that the first egg got stuck or slowed down coming out, for whatever reason, and the second egg got backed up behind it.

If your two eggs looked completely different, chances are good they are from two different chickens. Hope you find out who is laying what there.
smile.png

Quote:
It's not possible that those were all her eggs, chickens cannot lay 3 eggs in the space of a few hours. She was sitting on eggs laid by your other chickens.

Quote:
How many eggs did you get from your other birds? It is extremely unlikely, darned close to impossible, that she layed all 3 eggs. If you can prove she did you have a million dollar hen.

Hens in a flock tend to pick a favorite nest. And when they decide it's time to lay they don't really care if someone else is in the nestbox or not. I've seen as many as 4 pile on top of each other to lay and then leave. But if one is going broody or a slow layer, she's going to stay there and endure it.

To the OP: Lucky you! It sounds like you have 2 blue egg layers!

the 2 eggs were laid in seperate nests. I got 7 eggs today. That is an unusually high amount. I had been averaging 3 or 4. Until about last week then i started getting 6 eggs a day. Then today i got 7.

Back
Top Bottom