something stole my eggs and killed a chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by troutman, Aug 10, 2016.

1. troutman

troutman New Egg

Aug 10, 2016
    today when I got home form work I went to check on my chickens and one was lying dead in the middle of the coop with just its head and neck gone. The rest of the body was there. This chicken was in its brooding stage so it was sitting on the eggs. But when I went to get the eggs they were gone so I am thinking that something wanted the eggs but she was sitting on them, so it killed her and took the eggs. My question is what would do this in the middle of the day and only take the head of the chicken.

2. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Could be a weasel, but it really doesn't matter. Time to button up the coop, or if you leave it open all day, you need to strengthen the run or yard. Hardware cloth top bottom sides. Weasels can squeeze in thru a 1" hole (like chicken wire). Something knows where the chuck wagon is now and you can be sure it will return.

If you free range with no protection, more will die.

3. gmfwlbrdr

gmfwlbrdr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2016
    Ohio
    My bet is possum ,,set live trap quick it will show back up nearby ,the possum are not trapshy and will enter after most any bait.

4. FOOD SOURCE

FOOD SOURCE Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2016
    What time did u come home? If it was late in the evening it could have been a screech owl,I had an incident where I had 7 hens dead with there heads missing but there bodies were untouched .

5. troutman

troutman New Egg

Aug 10, 2016
    I came home around 11:30 to 12 for lunch and that's when I found it

6. FOOD SOURCE

Aug 6, 2016
    The only Predator I can think of that would kill in the day and eat chickens would be a possum

7. FOOD SOURCE

Aug 6, 2016
    I caught one in a trap and shot it the next morning we put rotten eggs as bait

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by