Something strange is going on!

I have some cameras mounted on posts that I can move around.
A GHO
DSCF00031125 02 - Copy.jpg
DSCF00031125 10.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200129_114729.jpg
    IMG_20200129_114729.jpg
    778.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200324_110633.jpg
    IMG_20200324_110633.jpg
    852.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200324_110744.jpg
    IMG_20200324_110744.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 11
Following

Stray dogs are a problem where we live. A pack of dogs stole several eggs, wooden eggs and killed my game hen and her chicks. Owner never became responsible and they ended up killing their chickens as well.

🤷‍♂️

Yeah it’s covered. I don’t think it’s from one of my hens though. They were all locked inside the run and as I mentioned before, none were missing. Occasionally a hen escapes, but they aren’t able to get back in. This was also a distance from my coop/run area.
You only have 3 chickens living in here so look closer for injuries you may have missed earlier and secure this coop BEFORE it happens again.

Last edited:
Okay. Around a 1-2 months ago, something got into one of my chicken coops and stole all my silkies (10 birds)- they vanished without a trace (besides some feathers). The next day I found three wandering around in my yard, unscathed. I immediately went and posted a thread, in which people thought somebody stole my chickens and dropped off three because they felt bad. I wasn’t so sure. A few weeks later, same thing. Something stole an Easter egger hen and 6 silkie roosters. I went back to the thread, they thought a person had come back for round two. Then, about a week ago, I caught a fox attempting to steal another Easter egger hen! I got her back, and she’s continuing to recover. I set a fox trap, plopped my huge dog out by the chicken coop, and thought all was well. HOWEVER, today I went out to collect eggs, and found a giant pile of feathers- I think from a silkie. The three girls I have left are all perfectly fine and the coop seemed unbothered. Where did this huge pile of feathers come from?!
I recently spotted a pile of feathers on the lot beside me and mistook them for a bird at first. My guess is they belonged to one of my neighbors chickens since he's the only one close by with white chickens. So it IS possible for a predator to carry someone else's chickens to your house or nearby

Okay. Around a 1-2 months ago, something got into one of my chicken coops and stole all my silkies (10 birds)- they vanished without a trace (besides some feathers). The next day I found three wandering around in my yard, unscathed. I immediately went and posted a thread, in which people thought somebody stole my chickens and dropped off three because they felt bad. I wasn’t so sure. A few weeks later, same thing. Something stole an Easter egger hen and 6 silkie roosters. I went back to the thread, they thought a person had come back for round two. Then, about a week ago, I caught a fox attempting to steal another Easter egger hen! I got her back, and she’s continuing to recover. I set a fox trap, plopped my huge dog out by the chicken coop, and thought all was well. HOWEVER, today I went out to collect eggs, and found a giant pile of feathers- I think from a silkie. The three girls I have left are all perfectly fine and the coop seemed unbothered. Where did this huge pile of feathers come from?!
ALL the Silkies? That really doesn't sound like a wild predator to me. However, I agree with others who have posted since that you DO need to secure your coop at night. Possibly with a lock that 2 legged (non-feathered) "predators' can't open.

ALL the Silkies? That really doesn't sound like a wild predator to me. However, I agree with others who have posted since that you DO need to secure your coop at night. Possibly with a lock that 2 legged (non-feathered) "predators' can't open.
I recall her posting she found a fox den nearby right after the first attack then it happened again. She also caught a fox with a hen in its mouth but yelled and it ran off (dropping the hen) .Foxes are cunning and smart .If a fox messes with a slide bolt lock long enough it can open one. So can a coon.

I recall her posting she found a fox den nearby right after the first attack then it happened again. She also caught a fox with a hen in its mouth but yelled and it ran off (dropping the hen) .Foxes are cunning and smart .If a fox messes with a slide bolt lock long enough it can open one. So can a coon.
But 10 Silkies in one night? With no evidence/signs? One or two I could buy it was a fox. Or, if it is a female teaching kits to kill, one or two missing and carnage with a few others, but not that many in one night with no evidence.

i suspect 2 legged 'predator' and some got away (3 found a week later) while they were raiding and hid. Also odd that it was JUST the Silkies and not her other heavy breeds...that it is later mentioned she has.

Agree with you, though, that Foxes are very cunning!

But 10 Silkies in one night? With no evidence/signs? One or two I could buy it was a fox. Or, if it is a female teaching kits to kill, one or two missing and carnage with a few others, but not that many in one night with no evidence.

i suspect 2 legged 'predator' and some got away (3 found a week later) while they were raiding and hid. Also odd that it was JUST the Silkies and not her other heavy breeds...that it is later mentioned she has.

Agree with you, though, that Foxes are very cunning!
A fox won't stop at a bird or two when its got kits to feed.The have a small stomache and can't eat but a small amount at a time and carry them all back to the den or bury to eat later .They're numerous posts here where they killed the whole flock when the birds were small and the den wasn't far.There was zero evidence of a 2 legged thief but she caught a fox red handed.This coop only had silkies in it if I'm not mistaken.

A fox won't stop at a bird or two when its got kits to feed.The have a small stomache and can't eat but a small amount at a time and carry them all back to the den or bury to eat later .They're numerous posts here where they killed the whole flock when the birds were small and the den wasn't far.There was zero evidence of a 2 legged thief but she caught a fox red handed.This coop only had silkies in it if I'm not mistaken.
She also posted that a fox got about 16 birds in a matter of days.

Back
Top Bottom