Something to tell the hens apart

Hotrodchick

Hatching
5 Years
May 24, 2014
I have buff orps is there something I can use to tell one hen from the other like a colored leg band, etc. I don't want them or the others to peck at it though. Their combs have changed a bit over the months and I'm not sure who is who. It's because I want to know who it is in the nest laying and who isn't. Someone has stopped laying but not sure who.
Thanks.

http://cutlersupply.com/zen_new51/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_88 The spiral bands are probably the most popular, Cutler has them in asst colors http://cutlersupply.com/zen_new51/index.php?main_page=page&id=5 and the sizing chart
Like all bands keep an eye on them since they can cause sores if they get something caught in them or the points stick them. The Bandettes are nice since they are numbered and you can see them at a distance, but they do tend to lose them occasionally ime.
A lot of people also just use small zip ties in different colors if you are just trying to keep years apart, just trim off the end.
http://www.nationalband.com/leg.htm here is a link to lots of different versions of id things ... you might also consider wing banding your birds if you are looking for something permanent... I've come to like the Zip 890s

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sometimes they can be hard to differentiate! Usually there is some marking or comb size that tells them apart. You can also use some magic marker on some part of the head or back of the neck. Just a dot in an area they can't groom easily so it doesn't come off too fast. Of course when they molt out this area you will need to repeat the marker.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I can usually tell my birds apart by looking at the combs or a specific trait. For example, I know that some of my birds have 5 point combs with a point on the blade, and others have 7-point combs. Some of my Wyandottes have narrower heads, and others have heads that look more like those of Cornish. Some birds have more even coloration, or are slightly larger. I use all of these traits to remember my birds and keep track of them.

I also use legbands, but I really don't need them. By the time a chick is 8 weeks old, I already know what traits to look for in it so I can remember who it is. But, if you birds look almost identical, then legbands are probably the way to go.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I can tell most of my birds apart by their appearance (markings, etc.). However, for some, I do use colored, numbered leg bands. The bands work well, and I've never had problems with birds picking at the bands.

I have buff orps is there something I can use to tell one hen from the other like a colored leg band, etc. I don't want them or the others to peck at it though. Their combs have changed a bit over the months and I'm not sure who is who. It's because I want to know who it is in the nest laying and who isn't. Someone has stopped laying but not sure who.
Thanks.
Buffs can go broody often, if one is acting broody, then I would place my bets on her. I only have 3 so it's easy to see the differences, if you have many, I understand how difficult it would be to differentiate. If I needed ID, I would try the marker first.

Back
Top Bottom