Something tried to get in the coop last night

Gunhill32

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2019
so this morning I went to let my ducks out in the yard, and I noticed the top of the coop was ripped off. At first I thought it was a raccoon, until I noticed it also trampled the 5 foot high chain link fence I have behind the coop. The weirdest thing is, the hole it ripped into the hardware cloth was easily big enough for it to get into. But for some reason it stopped and left. All of my ducks are A ok, but visibly shaken up. Any idea what this was and how I can trap it?

Take a gun up a hill with 32 shots!
(Not really of course)

Sounds like something only a bear could manage.

Or a human I guess.

Pics?

Sorce

I agree, bear most likely.
Electric fencing, with a very hot charger, baited with bacon or something at first.
Get your birds to a safe place today, because your visitor will return!
Can you find tracks! Set up a game camera too.
Mary

Yes I’m in upstate NY, I called the DEC and they said most likely bear. I’m reinforcing the coop today, and setting up a trail cam. Then tonight I’ll probably sit outside with my night vision and .308 just in case it decides to take another crack at breaking in!

Attachments

• 492E5713-D2DE-42B2-B59D-03A05CAE2504.jpeg
    492E5713-D2DE-42B2-B59D-03A05CAE2504.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • D6F73FA0-8708-4EF7-9208-9B29E091D0D9.jpeg
    D6F73FA0-8708-4EF7-9208-9B29E091D0D9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
I might be wrong, but it looks like you have stapled the welded wire onto the boards for the run. To help make your run more predator proof - screw pieces of wood around the run, covering where the welded wire fencing is stapled down. The idea is to "sandwich" the wire between 2 boards and it will make it hold alot better. Right now it is only the strength of a staple holding the welded wire in place. You don't need to use a full 2x material, wood trim or slats will work. Or even screws in fender washers will be stronger.

I might be wrong, but it looks like you have stapled the welded wire onto the boards for the run. To help make your run more predator proof - screw pieces of wood around the run, covering where the welded wire fencing is stapled down. The idea is to "sandwich" the wire between 2 boards and it will make it hold alot better. Right now it is only the strength of a staple holding the welded wire in place. You don't need to use a full 2x material, wood trim or slats will work. Or even screws in fender washers will be stronger.
I’m picking up some wood from Lowe’s right now to do just that, it was secured with staples and 1 inch long poultry net nails I pounded in. I searched the woods for tracks, but the vegetation is so dense back there I couldn’t find much

If your lived in the pacific north west, I would have guessed Sasquatch. Anywhere else - that's a black bear. Bear are more interested in feed than "hunting" live prey.
I agree with above - baited electric fence. Just like he trampled your chain link, he can walk right through an electric fence. The bacon entices him to touch the wire with his nose or tongue, delivering the jolt you need to scare him away.

Back
Top Bottom