Something violent went down...

Yeah sounds like he was trying to dominate and force them as he didn't have anyone to teach him manners.

He should grow out of it but it can be pretty awful as well. If he doesn't grow out of it I would find a new cockeral.

I would observe them tomorrow and see how he acts towards them. If he's still being rough throw him in a dog crate with food and water for a few days preferably in their coop or run.

He's a naughty boy. Lol. Yes they have to figure it out but it can quickly get out of hand if a hen doesn't submit and makes a fool of him.

Two of my 2 yr. old hens got roughed up today. Two have mangled tail feathers and one has a bloody pecked comb, and the down around her vent looked kind of matted like she was held to the ground which is wet from rain. The more roughed up one also acted spooked when I brought evening food. My question is, could my young roo have done this?

He’s about 23 weeks old and my Buff layers have never really fought amongst themselves. I do have 2 layers that are the same age as the roo, but they haven’t previously caused any problems either. The 3 younger ones were hatched and raised by one of my older hens.

Side note: I do know he’s been mating a couple of the hens, because I’ve been getting some fertile eggs. My older layers have not yet accepted him as king of the coop. Maybe he snapped?

This morning, I went out to catch the roo, so I could put him in a wire dog cage. One of my hens attacked another hen, rooster style, while I was in there. I caught her and put her in jail instead. Maybe it was her drawing blood? I don’t know. I’m confused now.
Can you post some photos?
How much space do you have -sqft of coop and run?
How many hens and pullets?

What do you mean by one hen attacking another hen "rooster style" - was it a face off, kicking/fighting or mounting?

Can you post some photos?
How much space do you have -sqft of coop and run?
How many hens and pullets?

What do you mean by one hen attacking another hen "rooster style" - was it a face off, kicking/fighting or mounting?
I mean she flared her hackles, jumped at her with her feet out and pecked her in the face, and when the other went to run away, she followed behind and kept trying to get at her. This is not behavior I’ve seen in my girls before. I’ve seen the pecking order stuff, but not this. The biggest changes in the last couple of months has been the roo coming into maturity, and weather changes. There’s been lots of rain and cooler temps. They are slowing down egg production for the season, which is normal for them. My Buffs have never had a problem with the size of their coop and run before, they’ve been in it for 2 years without issue.

Introduce new chickens into the flock there will most assuredly the conflict between the newbies and the old heads. They will bully them off the food they will bully them off of roosts they have to have enough space to separate and sometimes that doesn't even work the older birds will chase them until they get tired as in going out of their way to pick a fight with the youngsters. It does settled down somewhat to where they ruefully accept the youngsters as for the Roo everything about chicken love is rough. Those of us who have had chicken is going to notice that there are bald spots on the back of their neck for the Roo held them by the back of their head while mating bald spots on the back between the wings.

Last edited:
I mean she flared her hackles, jumped at her with her feet out and pecked her in the face, and when the other went to run away, she followed behind and kept trying to get at her. This is not behavior I’ve seen in my girls before. I’ve seen the pecking order stuff, but not this. The biggest changes in the last couple of months has been the roo coming into maturity, and weather changes. There’s been lots of rain and cooler temps. They are slowing down egg production for the season, which is normal for them. My Buffs have never had a problem with the size of their coop and run before, they’ve been in it for 2 years without issue.
Do you need the cockerel?
Are you planning on breeding? If not, then it may be better to re-home him.

I’m having trouble clearing my confusion, and maybe I’m not communicating the issue correctly. After seeing the hens fight, I’m not sure the cockerel is the issue anymore. My Buffs don’t fight with each other. You would think if it were the younger ones that were causing the issue, that the Buffs would be fighting them and not each other. The young ones are not among the injured.

There’s only 1 cockerel, I’m positive. All the rest lay eggs. I have 6 grown hens, two pullets, and a roo. As far as space is concerned, I know that it matters and could have some bearing on the situation, but I can’t even begin to deal with that today, which is why I’m avoiding answering that question. Too much going on even besides the chicken drama, and need to attend the injured first and foremost. I’m just trying to figure out who the aggressor/s are at this point. I have the one hen I saw doing this morning’s attack in a big cage beside the run at the moment. I’m kind of waiting to see if anyone else fights.

Back
Top Bottom