something weird with combs!!!! Help.

I keep looking at those pics and I still think it could be mild frostbite. Those are healthy looking chickens! try a little Bag Balm-stuffs great

Quote:
Well, there you go, that may well be part of the problem -- the worst conditions for frostbite are when it's cold and damp, which is almost guaranteed if things are closed up tight. Even if you have a lamp on the coldest days, they can still get frostbite anyhow (in fact, depending on the placement of your lamp, they can sometimes *also* burn their combs on the bulb or hot guards!)

Having it happen in late winter and spring is not inconsistant with frostbite. Coop moisture is likely to build up gradually as the winter goes on, and damage to the comb can also be gradual (the black color is a later stage of frostbite, not the first sign, and will last til the tissue heals or more likely sloughs off).

Food for thought,

Pat

This is our first full year with chickens... I've been noticing the "blackness" starting on the red roo as soon as he matured (which was last spring/summer) - as soon as his comb fully grew in the spots developed (but now I am noticing this on the others - our other roo started to get this on his comb but not as bad...today was the first time I notices a spot on own hen's). This was also at that the time that all of our birds were free ranging, so it didn't start with moisture in the coop... As for them burning themselves, my dad (being the engineer that he is) designed it in a way that the lamp is high up so they couldn't bump it...but he even put in a "plexi-glass" (I'm not sure if it is really plexi glass but something like that, that doesn't get too hot or burn) board across with little holes so the heat can go through, but so that can actually hit the lamp.

So I'm really confused on what it is...I go in that coup and I'm comfortably warm. lol

Thank you for you insight.

Again, I have massaged some vasoline on their combs and waddles to help with the chapping....

theoretically, if this frostbite (even though it seems more like something is spreading) what should I do? Our neighbors also have chickens that they keep in a garden shed for the winter (and free range in the summer) and none of them have these "issues." His shed isn't even insulated but yet his don't have "frostbite." Am I doing something incredibly wrong? Everyone says I over baby mine... ????

Quote:
Oh man. Now I'm nervous. The blackness didn't start at the ends... I noticed a few spots here and there more in the center of the comb and now it's more so on the outer extremities of the combs. Our hen has a smooth flat comb and she just has a tiny spot right in the middle....

Since this is my first full year owning these birds, I'm not sure how the "spots" will show. They definitely seem worse now then they looked in the spring, but other than having these black marks, they seem very healthy. They eat and drink well, are very vocal and active, they don't appear to have any mucous discharge, they do not cough or sneeze, and their dropping look fine, but.... my hen who will be a year in May has never laid yet, and our chick that had the leg issue never grew well (she was one that was killed by a hawk). So I'm not sure if my birds do have that or if some things are just a coincidence.

I am worried because when we bought them as chicks, I'm not sure if they were vaccinated or not. Being a first time fowl owner, we never heard of vaccinating birds... let alone have a vet near buy who does so...
sad.png

The site said there was no cure.... if my birds do have this, are this doing to die or have to be put down...or is this something that will eventually pass through their system? I just did a quick search online, and it says:
"Fowlpox is a worldwide disease of poultry caused by viruses of the family Poxviridae and the genus Avipoxvirus. The viruses causing fowlpox are distinct from one another but antigenically similar, possible hosts including chickens, turkeys, quail, canaries, pigeons, and many other species of birds. There are two forms of the disease. The first is spread by biting insects (especially mosquitoes) and wound contamination and causes lesions on the comb, wattles, and beak. Birds affected by this form usually recover within a few weeks. The second form is spread by inhalation of the virus and causes a diphtheritic membrane to form in the mouth, pharynx, larynx, and sometimes the trachea. The prognosis for this form is poor."

^^^ He's been having these marks for months... but I don't see if affecting their mouths (as I have mentioned they eat/drink, vocalize, run away, and jsut don't appear to be sick)... so idk....
Thank you so much for finding that link...I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
I'm almost sorry I sent you that site! Don't panic! It was a heads up-I'm not an expert and your birds look REALY healthy. I've never had my birds vaccinated to date-I only keep a few at a time and
they get no exposure to other birds. Maybe you can forward the pics to a State livestock site?

Quote:
No, don't be sorry. I really appreciate it. I rather know/have an idea of what's going on or what the possibilities are. See, I didn't think it's been cold enough in that coop to actually get frost bite, but I figured the chapping was due to the cold (my skin gets dry in the winter too), but those spots just don't seem "alright." I didn't start to worry until I saw the other roo getting them, and now my hen is developing it. If it was frostbite I would expect it to be about the same on each bird.. but it looks more like it's spreading...

I'm worried because we're suppose to get more hens this spring and if this is some disease, I rather know about it and how to stop/cure it before the others come.

I think sending the pictures in to a State livestock site would be a good idea. I rather be safe then sorry. Thank you for your advice and help.

Last edited:
I have followed the natural rearing methods of a woman named Juliette de Bairacli Levy for many years. She was a Veterinarian who studied herbs and Gypsy medicine for most of her life. She was alive and living in Greece, as of a couple of years ago (she'd be in her 90's now). She wrote several books, one being the "Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable". In her book she states that:
"The symptoms of Fowl Pox are: Yellow mucus discharge from mouth. The appearance of clusters of warts on the comb, the beak edges and UNDER THE WINGS."
She used garlic inside and out, fasting and eucalyptus oil to cure. I do Not condone this treatment , but I'm just passing on some interesting theories. I worked in a library for 23 years and did lots of reference work! Don't panic-check with an expert.

i

Thank you. I just emailed our local Livestock/Agricultural Department regarding this potential issue and sent the pictures. I'm just waiting for a response.

That is frostbite. I see it all the time up here <sigh>
roll.png

The weather around my area is pretty brutal. All most all the roosters get this. It is VERY hard to keep them that warm around here.

My question is..has anyone made hats or anything that stays in place to cover their roosters combs to prevent this?

~Amanda~

Back
Top Bottom