Something wrong with my chick - Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tia, Apr 22, 2011.

1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    My last chick that hatched is flopping around a bit and I'm afraid he might not make it. Is there anything that I can do. It hasn't dried off yet. I don't know if it is weak or if there is something wrong with it. : (

2. Alexis

Alexis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Keep your chick warm, give some sugar water unless you have electrolytes handy to perk your little one up. It could be just a very weak chick - gotta give them time, although I know it's stressful! It always is when they are so little and helpless. I hope for the best for ya! [​IMG]

3. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I have a package of electrolytes at home I can run and get. Should I take him out when he is wet and give him some or try to wait. I have three more eggs in the incubator. Can you just mix up a little bit.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  4. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    If he's not even dried yet, I'm almost sure it's just the normal weakness

a chick will have after hatching. They roll around like crazy after hatching,

because they've been in such a different position in the egg, and now

they're learning to walk, and to add on, getting out of an egg is hard work!

he's just tired, and weak. And do not take him out of the 'bator until he is dry! [​IMG]

~Scissor

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  5. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Thanks so much. I was so worried about him. He is still stumbling but made his way across the incubator and peered out at me. What a sweet little guy. I appreciate you responding. I thought I might lose him, the others had so much more energy and coordination.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by