Something wrong with my day old chick??

Amberrose

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2017
Help!!Hi everyone my name is amber and yesterday morning I bought 8 chicks(meant to be 4 but the guy gave us xtra) 2 normal chicks (one yellow and one brown) and 6 turkins. They all are perfectly healthy except the yellow regular chick, I've been making hot water bottles every 2 hours as I don't have a heat lamp so I know she's not cold but she won't stand up or open her eyes and I put her mouth in a little bit of water to see if she would open her eyes or stand up and she appeared to drink it but then she kept acting like she was still swallowing (holding her head up in the air) and keeps opening her mouth. I think to breath? Maybe her nose is blocked? She was okay earlier....can anyone help? Now she's with the others on a hot water bottle (with a cover on of course) and I don't think she will make it but I really want her to as she's not even mine, I'm looking after her and the other regular one for my friend till she has a place to keep them....any ideas ?? Thanks everyone....and id really appreciate if you didn't give me the whole lecture about keeping them warm because I do know.... Thanks for all your help

Ok I'll try that, and I know they do but she has gone past the point of just drinking normally

If you have a heating pad, that would work too for warmth for your chicks but as eggbert420 recommends a regular light bulb will let you get some rest. Tipping the head back is what they do after taking up some water (eggber420) but if she's gasping, it could be it got chilled and not feeling well. There are times not all the chicks make it for whatever reason.

Is it eating? Are the rest eating? What are you feeding them?

Thank you
1f642.png
I could try a regular light bulb I just don't want it to too bright incase it damages their eyes? I definitely wouldn't want to sleep under a light bulb! Maybe I could make her a separate bottle and just try to make sure she's warm? She is one of the weakest ones. No she's not eating or drinking and she won't stand up and can hardly hold her head up. And she just won't open her eyes, ever since I got her this morning she seemed to be really tired.All the rest are eating and drinking really well and I'm feeding them regular chick food.

I live in Portugal and it is 25 degrees here in the day and I still make bottles for them and at night I've been making them every 2 hours I've had (turkin) chicks before when I was younger and they didn't even have a hot water bottle. My turkins have always survived and I've had quite a lot over the years. I just haven't had much luck with yellow regular chicks, it they may have even had something as the market where I got them isn't exactly goals, but the rest are doing really well.

Last edited:
You should be ashamed of yourself, for buying chickens if you refuse to take care of them properly. last weak 20 people told you to heat your chickens and you refused too. They died so you bought more .Why do you ask for thier help If you just want to argue with them and tell them that baby chicks don't need heat. They waisted their time trying too help you . If you know more than them why are you on here asking for help.

Wow ! Stop! I never said they didn't need heat? I tried so hard and spent days crying about that and telling myself I don't even deserve animals! I have woken up every 2 hours to make a hot water bottle for these chicks and the others did die and I know it was all my fault so this time I'm trying so much harder! And last time I never ever refused to heat them?? When I said on this post that I've had chicks before with no heat I was talking about years ago in the summer, and they all survived. 10 days ago I know I let them get too cold and that was because we had 2 really cold nights and I didn't realise. I'd never had those kinds of chicks before, and whenever someone told me to make sure they where are warm I would,and one of them almost got too hot! I have been trying really hard with these chicks, and for the record I never refuse to heat the other ones, they always had a hot water bottle in the day but I didn't realise I should get up in the night too but I do now. Do you think I find it fun knowing that it was my fault? Knowing that if I had just got up in the night they might have survived? Knowing that they both trusted me to look after them and care for them and I failed? Well I don't. I hate it and I'm sorry if you think I'm being selfish and that I can't even care for these ones. I will wake up every hour if I need to, I'll take them to the vet I'll do anything to make sure they survive. Now I have to go and make them another bottle, and please no more hate. I feel bad enough as it is. And also, the reason that I haven't updated my other post is because I know if I tell everyone that my other one died, they will all think the exact same thing you do, that I'm not good enough and an some spoiled know it all and should be ashamed. For your information I am ashamed of what happened with the others, and I'll do everything in my power to make sure it won't happen again. Please no more hate

Back
Top Bottom