Something wrong with my day old chick??

And I'm not trying to make people feel sorry for me or anything, I'm just trying to show you that I do care and that I'm not a selfish brat who has no idea how to look after animals

The chick passed away last night...sorry everyone...the rest are still very healthy. This has only ever happened with yellow regular ones, the brown regular one is doing great and the rest are too. If you have any tips on why it happened then much appreciated, and I don't think it was too cold as I have been making hot water bottles and the rest are all good

Last edited:
If you have internet and money for a vet, then I know you have electricity. So put a light on them and go to bed. You say you will do anything for them. Anything but put a light on them or a heating pad. I don't understand

That's the thing, I have a bedside lamp but it's really really REALLY freaking bright, won't it keep them awake ? Sorry about my rant earlier, I was upset. I'm trying to get a heat lamp as I don't have a heating pad

Last edited:
Ok...should I still get up and make hot water bottles? Also just wondering, why is the light better than them?

10 mins? They are still hot when I get them out 2 hours later. That's why I change them, ya know to make sure they don't go cold on the chicks. But ok.

Could you maybe use some sort of cave? Or a wooly hen? I brood mine outside using the heating pad, and a cave made of rigid foam insulation. It retains their heat quite nicely, especially when there were 13 underneath.

I've also seen posts where they use a wooly hen. Think of a shoebox with straps of wool or Fleece hanging down for the chick's to snuggle in.

I've had two batches of chick's. My first one came in the mail and two didn't make it. I think one was squished in the box during transit, and the other died within 24 hours. 2nd batch came from a feedstore and one was weak from the start, never ate or drank and didn't last long. It doesn't seem that uncommon to have a weakling who doesn't make it.

Best wishes for you and your chick's!

Thank you I'll try it! Thanks for not giving me any hate aha, finally someone who agrees that sometimes chicks don't make it. It's only the yellow ones that have died, I got 2 the other week and they both died and I thought it was because they got too cold but now this one died and I know that one wasn't too cold. Maybe I just need extra special conditions for the yellow ones, thanks for your help
1f642.png

Back
Top Bottom