Something wrong with my day old chick??

In caring for your chicks, it might help you if you can understand why a baby chick needs heat, and what kind of heat is best.

Chicks produce body heat from eating food just as we do. However, they lack the ability to regulate it because they only have a thin covering of down. Until they grow in all their insulating feathers, by age four to five weeks, they need help regulating their temperature.

So we provide a heat source for them to warm under when they lose body heat. Ideally, a broody hen provides this service. As a chick chills after running around playing and eating and drinking, it scoots under the broody hen to suck some of her heat into its own little body. Then it's off and running and playing again until next time it begins to chill.

The best sort of heat would be one that mimics a broody hen - contact heat from above, so the chick can pull the needed heat into its body, then leave once it gets its "fill". A heating pad "cave" fills this bill. The next best source of heat would be one like a "wooly hen" where it prevents chicks from heat loss. This depends on a chick being able to eat enough food to fire up its own body heat, so diet is crucial. But it works best when numerous chicks are using it since they all contribute heat to the effort. That thread is over on the Managing your Flock forum.

The next best, and easiest for many people, is a heat lamp. But these devices have their own problems. A 250 watt lamp is often much too hot for just a very small number of chicks. Overheating is a real danger unless you have plenty of cool space for chicks to shed excess heat. It's also bright and stressful.

A hot water bottle can work if you rig it efficiently so a chick can make maximum contact with it, but not get burned. It shouldn't be any hotter than what would burn your hand. But even the best quality hot water bottles need recharging ever few hours as they cool down.

If you're going to buy a heat lamp, I would recommend you buy a heating pad instead. It will be cheaper in the long run and better for your chicks. Study the thread on Mama Heating Pad for the Brooder on this forum for details.

Thank you I'll try it! Thanks for not giving me any hate aha, finally someone who agrees that sometimes chicks don't make it. It's only the yellow ones that have died, I got 2 the other week and they both died and I thought it was because they got too cold but now this one died and I know that one wasn't too cold. Maybe I just need extra special conditions for the yellow ones, thanks for your help
1f642.png

Yes sometimes chicks don't make but twice in a row you post the same problem and twice you're told to use a heat lamp or heating pad. You insists the water bottles stay hot for 2hrs, you're changing it out every 2hrs....Ok if that works for you great and you feel your heating method not to blame, so why no try it "our way" the next time.

Sorry but eggbert420 is FRUSTRATED not hate....This is the second time you posted about failing chicks, same deal with the water bottles. I was getting frustrated & irritated reading the first time you had problem, members trying to explain and guess we just have no clue as to what you're trying to say. Second time around same thing, maybe it's the cultural & dialect differences....

I understand where everyone is coming from, and I'm sorry if it makes you guys frustrated. I've only had a failed chick once before and that way years ago so it is new to me too. I know people say hot water bottles get cold but that's why I change them, I want to do best for the chicks but I can't afford to buy a heat lamp, i know someone with one but recently had piglets so she might still be
using it for them. I don't even know where to buy one from, I've never even seen one for sale. I'll see if I can order a heating pad but I'm not sure if I'll have enough money or not. I guess it could come in handy if I rescue anymore baby animals. Anyway, back on topic, I know people are getting frustrated but so am I, and eggbert420 was getting frustrated but some of the things he said didn't even happen. When someone told me to warm them I always made sure I did. And, as I said, one of them almost overheated. The rest of the chicks are all very heathy and happy, it's only the yellow one. Maybe the yellow ones just can't survive without a heatleamp? Since the other failed chicks where yellow also. Actually, they are the kind bred for eating, like they grow extra fast and are white and even if they are female they don't lay eggs. Kind of strange. Anyway, I just want people to understand I'm not even a newbie at raising chicks and baby animals, and I'm also not a know it all who is refusing to try new things. As I said I would get a heatlamp if I could, I just don't know if I can. I'll update this post in a few weeks to say if they all survived.

Last edited:
I understand where everyone is coming from, and I'm sorry if it makes you guys frustrated. I've only had a failed chick once before and that way years ago so it is new to me too. I know people say hot water bottles get cold but that's why I change them, I want to do best for the chicks but I can't afford to buy a heat lamp, i know someone with one but recently had piglets so she might still be
using it for them. I don't even know where to buy one from, I've never even seen one for sale. I'll see if I can order a heating pad but I'm not sure if I'll have enough money or not. I guess it could come in handy if I rescue anymore baby animals. Anyway, back on topic, I know people are getting frustrated but so am I, and eggbert420 was getting frustrated but some of the things he said didn't even happen. When someone told me to warm them I always made sure I did. And, as I said, one of them almost overheated. The rest of the chicks are all very heathy and happy, it's only the yellow one. Maybe the yellow ones just can't survive without a heatleamp? Since the other failed chicks where yellow also. Actually, they are the kind bred for eating, like they grow extra fast and are white and even if they are female they don't lay eggs. Kind of strange. Anyway, I just want people to understand I'm not even a newbie at raising chicks and baby animals, and I'm also not a know it all who is refusing to try new things. As I said I would get a heatlamp if I could, I just don't know if I can. I'll update this post in a few weeks to say if they all survived.
Amber Rose. You seem to be forgetting the events that occurred less than 3 weeks ago: 4 days ago I bought 2 one day old chicks from my local market and they were doing well up until last night when one of them started screaming and staggering and it wouldn't close its wings, but then I hugged it for awhile and it calmed down and went back to normal. But then about 10 minutes ago (I had them cuddled up to me in a blanket) I found the other one dead!! I don't know why I'll get one more next Sunday to make sure the other isn't lonley (in 3 days) but in the meantime how do I comfort the other one? He/she is really upset thank you so much for any help (I'm not going to buy any like this again because they are too young and I don't have a heat lamp) x

So, let me get this straight. The last 2 chicks you had died because you wouldn't take the advice of the many people who took the time to offer it to you. So, you get 6 more, and continue with the same course of action that most likely caused the death of the first 2 chicks. You have stated in both of your threads that you don't know where to get a heat lamp, or don't have the money to buy a heat lamp or a heating pad. You talk about doing animal rescue. However, you can't rescue an animal if you can't provide the basic necessities to keep it alive. As for your statement about not being a person "who refuses to try new things", people have been using light bulbs to keep baby animals warm since the invention of the light bulb. You will say I'm being mean. But, seriously, I ask you to think long and hard about what you are doing to the chicks in your care. Is it mean to want them to have their needs met so they can thrive?

I would just like to say that I haven't taken the same course of action... And I have had about 4 batches of 2 turkins before and all have survived, this is the first time any have ever died. And about 2 weeks ago when I got the first 2 yellow ones (I'd never had them before) I guess I didn't know they where so much harder to look after than turkins. As I said I've only even had turkins. All of them are still doing really well and are all sitting in the shade (they have a choice of the sun aswell but it's too hot at the moment.) And I did take people's advice, I did everything they said that I could. Also, can everyone please remember that I do live in a particularly hot county. I'm not saying that means they don't need heat though, I'm not saying that at all. Anyway, as I was saying earlier, with the other 2 yellows I didn't make hot water bottles in the night as I didn't realise I needed to as with the turkins I didn't, but when I got the second batch (8, not 6 btw) I did get up in the night and did everything I could to make sure they where all warm. What I dont understand is why it's only the yellow ones, in the batch I have now there are 6 turkins and 1 regular brown, and of course there was a regular yellow aswell. But if its something I'm doing wrong then why hasn't this ever happened before? Or at least with the other regular one (the brown)? I take it they must just need extra care. I'll carry on with updates on how the others are all doing.

Update: all the chicks are doing great, I let them out of their cage in the day when it's sunny and they love scrabbling around in the dirt and eating little bugs and grass, no pasty butt either
1f642.png

i think i
Help!!Hi everyone my name is amber and yesterday morning I bought 8 chicks(meant to be 4 but the guy gave us xtra) 2 normal chicks (one yellow and one brown) and 6 turkins. They all are perfectly healthy except the yellow regular chick, I've been making hot water bottles every 2 hours as I don't have a heat lamp so I know she's not cold but she won't stand up or open her eyes and I put her mouth in a little bit of water to see if she would open her eyes or stand up and she appeared to drink it but then she kept acting like she was still swallowing (holding her head up in the air) and keeps opening her mouth. I think to breath? Maybe her nose is blocked? She was okay earlier....can anyone help? Now she's with the others on a hot water bottle (with a cover on of course) and I don't think she will make it but I really want her to as she's not even mine, I'm looking after her and the other regular one for my friend till she has a place to keep them....any ideas ?? Thanks everyone....and id really appreciate if you didn't give me the whole lecture about keeping them warm because I do know.... Thanks for all your help
it may have a blockage in its nose so you should take it to the vet and kinda let it be but still help it when it needs it not when it can and just wont so it learns how to do most things it should but listen to the vet not me

Back
Top Bottom