Something Wrong with My Newly Hatched Chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sky bird, Aug 14, 2013.

1. sky bird

sky bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Southern Missouri
    Hi. I am skybird's sister, using her user with permission to ask a urgent. I have just gotten 18 brand-new chicks in the mail from Murray McMurray hatchery, all the way from Iowa. All of them are doing great! All except one, the smallest Mille Fluer d'uccle bantam. He is the biggest crier. What's strange is that he keeps his head up constantly, never eating, and only when I direct him to drink and put some water on my finger tip does he drink. He constantly keeps tumbling around, falling on his face and bumping into the others. Also, he doesn't seem to really look down at all, just keeps his head up and crying. I don't know what's wrong with him, and I'd really appreciate some help ASAP. Thanks.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It may have some kind of genetic problem. Or, it could be a combination of unsteady feet and going thru the mail. Some water with sugar or honey may perk it up. If its not eating at all you could also make a really soupy mix of chick starter and water and dropper feed it, at least it could get some nutrients that way. Good luck, its sad to watch them struggle :/

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  3. sky bird

sky bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Southern Missouri
    I've given him sugar water already but he's still the same. I can't tell if he's sick or what and it doesn't exactly look as if he'll make it. So, is there anything else we can do for him?

4. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Besides keeping him warm, not much else you can do. How's he doing today? Hopefully a little better :fl

5. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Some Poly-vi-sol without iron my help. Or, if you can find it, poultry/Nutri-Drench is GOOD stuff. It doesn't have to wait for digestion, so the sick bird gets the benefit of the nutrients right away. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by