Something wrong woth hen, possibly egg bound

Ch8ckenhelp

Songster
Nov 17, 2017
This morning when I went to check on the chickens, I saw one of my RIR's who was basically sleeping on the roost with her head almost dangling towards the ground, like she couldn't keep her head up.
I grabbed her and looked her over, and it seems like she had something go with her egg. I didn't feel any lumps or anything when I lightly massaged her abdomen, but she had egg yolks all around her vent. Her comb and waddle are very cold and pale. I soaked her in some warm water for about 20 minutes, and then I tried to get her to drink. She won't drink water on her own, so I used a small dropper and gave her some water mixed with a little vitamin c and some probiotics.
She's been here for about an hour now, and she has moved a bit more since I brought her in, but she's still spending most of her time sleeping.
I already have a chicken in my little hospital cage, so I don't have anywhere to put her until this afternoon, when the other chicken gets out. Since she's not moving a whole lot, I set her down in this chair next to me.
She will get up and stand for a minute, but she seems to just barely be able to hold herself up. I just want to figure out what's wrong with her and see if there's anything I can do to help her.
15380557495741939368581-jpg.1544901
15380558053821743570785-jpg.1544903

How old is your hen?

Egg Binding symptoms are white smelly poo (white, in my personal experience), the skin behind her legs will be hard, not squishy like it normally is. Since you mentioned her having egg yoke around her vent, I think it's possible that the egg broke inside of her. It's still a form of egg binding and can still be fixed the same way.

You can give her an Epsom Salts bath and massages her the way you were before. You won't always get it to come out with the bath, but sometimes she will pass the egg a while afterwards. You can try searching for more ways to fix it, but that's the way I know how.

I've lost two hens when I didn't catch it in time, but I have saved one before.

How old is your hen?

Egg Binding symptoms are white smelly poo (white, in my personal experience), the skin behind her legs will be hard, not squishy like it normally is. Since you mentioned her having egg yoke around her vent, I think it's possible that the egg broke inside of her. It's still a form of egg binding and can still be fixed the same way.

You can give her an Epsom Salts bath and massages her the way you were before. You won't always get it to come out with the bath, but sometimes she will pass the egg a while afterwards. You can try searching for more ways to fix it, but that's the way I know how.

Thank you, I'll keep soaking her and hopefully it will come out. I don't want to have to do it, but if i can't help her I'll have to just put her out of her misery. I do everything i can to help my chickens, but if i can't help them I won't let then suffer.

How old is your hen?

I've actually had a different Rhode island red who had the same problem, but with her, I could get the egg out immediately and she's never had another problem with it since then.

Thank you, I'll keep soaking her and hopefully it will come out. I don't want to have to do it, but if i can't help her I'll have to just put her out of her misery. I do everything i can to help my chickens, but if i can't help them I won't let then suffer.

She's a 2 year old Rhode island red
Rhode Island Red is the same kind of chicken I saved from it. She was three years old when it happened. Since your girl is still standing up and responding, it makes me think that you may have caught it on time. If you happen to save her, I would still keep an eye on her. Once a chicken has been Egg Bound once, it can happen again.

Unfortunately, I think RIRs are prone to egg binding. Both the hens I've lost to it were Rhode Island Reds and both were four years old. I lost them two days apart. One of them was the same one I had saved before. When it was too late to save them, they were unresponsive and couldn't stand up on their own. Don't give up too soon, she's still responding, but I think you're right to put her out of her misery if it gets too much worse. You're stronger than I am.

Rhode Island Red is the same kind of chicken I saved from it. She was three years old when it happened. Since your girl is still standing up and responding, it makes me think that you may have caught it on time. If you happen to save her, I would still keep an eye on her. Once a chicken has been Egg Bound once, it can happen again.

Unfortunately, I think RIRs are prone to egg binding. Both the hens I've lost to it were Rhode Island Reds and both were four years old. I lost them two days apart. One of them was the same one I had saved before. When it was too late to save them, they were unresponsive and couldn't stand up on their own. Don't give up too soon, she's still responding, but I think you're right to put her out of her misery if it gets too much worse. You're stronger than I am.
I'm sorry to tell you this, but she just passed away. I heard her making noise and when I saw her, she was dead. I think you're right, RIRs seem to be prone to egg binding.

Back
Top Bottom