Something Wrong?

EggyTheHen

Songster
7 Years
Oct 1, 2015
I don't know if anything is wrong with her, but she is acting different than normal.

My hen always goes into the dog's area and sometimes gets caught, the dog doesn't play too rough but she does squish her enough. But anyway, my hen has been acting weird. She doesn't move around a lot, and when she does it is really slow. She doesn't limp or anything, and she doesn't have mites or parasites. Her eyes are clear, and there's no discharge around her nostrils or in her eyes. She hates it when I pet her right behind her tail. She's very uncomfortable when she gets picked up. When I do either of these things she starts chirping. And she is breathing funny, too. She doesn't pant, but she is constantly chirping instead of breathing quietly. She is very comfortable when I rub her on the crop. Her feathers aren't very glossy and smooth, but they're sort of dull and a few are out of place. I felt her vent, that feels normal. She keeps her head down low most of the time.
But she doesn't have any feathers around her vent or under her stomach.
She is an australorp and she's four or five years old. She hasn't laid any eggs in a really long time.
I gave her some vitamin water and she drank a lot of that, but only ate a little bit of food.

Any ideas on what is wrong with her?

I hate to say it but being 4 to 5 years old ,she might be coming to that time.
But just in case you can check out this site.http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I hope she starts to feel better soon.
Also just in case its an injury I would just do a physical exam,see if there are any bruses, cuts, scrapes, brocken toe,leg etc.

It could also be molting too. Even though it's summer (where I live) sometimes chickens have late molting seasons. Molting can also make them depressed. This could explain why she's not moving around very much. Your hen is not sick. If it was, the clue would've been watery eyes.

Hopefully, this helps! :)

Thank you both!
I still don't know if it was just molting (she wasn't loosing any feathers on her back or tail like she did last year) or something, but she is doing wayy better now. She's pecking and scratching around like the other hen. She is moving around a lot more, too, and way faster.

Also I noticed she had a sore on her chest, and she smelled weird, but the sore is getting better and she smells nicer too.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom