Something wrong?

segeine

Songster
6 Years
May 25, 2014
Last Spring, I bought 6 chicks who I think were hatched in about the second week of May. They are Rhode Island Reds, Golden Comets and Amaracaunas (which, I understand, could well be Easter Eggers in disguise). 2 weeks ago, at the State Fair, my husband talked me into a rooster (my avatar), and 2 hens - a white Leghorn and a Barred Rock. (He obviously understands chicken math.)
So, a few days after the new additions, I got a white egg, and 2 days after that, another. None of the other chickens give white eggs, so it has to be the Leghorn. Well, It's been over a week, and I haven't gotten anything from any of them, including no more white eggs. I am giving them calcium and layer feed, they seem healthy and the rooster is very friendly with the Leghorn, the Rock and one of the Reds. I have no idea how old the state fair birds are, but they are about the same size as the rest of the flock. The original 6 are about 28 weeks old.
What might I be doing wrong? Should I just stay patient? I'm thinking about buying a dozen eggs, just to give Murphy a chance.

--Segeine

Last Spring, I bought 6 chicks who I think were hatched in about the second week of May. They are Rhode Island Reds, Golden Comets and Amaracaunas (which, I understand, could well be Easter Eggers in disguise). 2 weeks ago, at the State Fair, my husband talked me into a rooster (my avatar), and 2 hens - a white Leghorn and a Barred Rock. (He obviously understands chicken math.)
So, a few days after the new additions, I got a white egg, and 2 days after that, another. None of the other chickens give white eggs, so it has to be the Leghorn. Well, It's been over a week, and I haven't gotten anything from any of them, including no more white eggs. I am giving them calcium and layer feed, they seem healthy and the rooster is very friendly with the Leghorn, the Rock and one of the Reds. I have no idea how old the state fair birds are, but they are about the same size as the rest of the flock. The original 6 are about 28 weeks old.
What might I be doing wrong? Should I just stay patient? I'm thinking about buying a dozen eggs, just to give Murphy a chance.

--Segeine

Stressors - such as a move and being integrated to a new flock, etc can throw a hen's laying pattern all out of whack...and could cause a delay in the onset of lay for your existing birds. Do you have any idea what the age of your new birds is? Whether they are new layers or older hens may also be playing into the sporadic laying. Are your birds fully contained or do they free range for all or part of the day? If contained, how much space inside the coop and within the enclose run do they have?

If you post photos of your flock we can help with who does/doesn't look close to laying, etc.
My leghorn laid one egg two weeks ago and nothing since....what causes this?

Hi and welcome to BYC - It would be best to go ahead and start a thread of your own so as not to hi-jack this person's post.

Ol' Grey Mare - Thank you for your answer. I will try to take some new pictures of them in the next couple of days and post them. I have absolutely no idea how old the new hens are, all I know is that I got 2 eggs from Betty White (The leghorn from the Fair, the only chicken I have who lays white eggs) and I haven't seen anything from any of the others. The rooster has been mounting Betty, one of the RIRs, and the ... something Rock that came from the Fair. Hopefully, the answer I get won't be "Those are all roosters, silly!" (I doubt it, but I'm just a newbie chicken keeper, so who knows?)

I recently added 3 laying Red Stars to my flock. They were kept separated for approx 10 days before integration. I got 2 xl eggs the morning after I picked them up and then nothing for over a week. They are the only ones laying xl eggs, so I knew when they started again. I assumed it was the stress. The 1st eggs I got were probably in the works before the stress shut them down. They are now consistent layers.

Thank you for the information Carfhe!

I am including some pictures of the flock, as Ol' Grey Mare requested. Hopefully, someone with greater experience than I have (and I have next to none) can give me some more advice.

The white one and the striped one are the ones from the fair, the rest were bought the same day and they were about the same age, within a day or so. I believe they were born about the second week of May. There are 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Golden Comets and (what they said were) 2 Ameraucanas.

They live in a 5x7 coop with an enclosed upstairs and a fenced in downstairs. They get to free-range almost every day for an hour or more - sometimes all day.

These guys look like velociraptors when they run...

Thanks for any help you might have for me!

Last edited:
That's a pretty small coop for what, 9 birds?, if I counted correctly.
Could up the stress factor for all involved.
If they free range they may be laying out in the range area rather than in the coop nests

Back
Top Bottom