Something's wrong???

J3ffr3y

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2015
I am very new to chickens. I have 4 Rhode Island Reds. I have only had them for almost a month now. One of them has acted like she has laryngitis. She acted fine as far as I know just didn't have a voice. They are about a year old I believe. Only one have been laying eggs. This morning my girl with laryngitis is just sitting on the ground not moving with her head down. She is still breathing. Don't know what to do. All the others still act fine as far as I can tell for not knowing anything. Help please?? Thank you!!!

Where did you get the chickens? Chickens can come down with respiratory diseases when they have been exposed by a carrier bird. Any stress such as cold weather or a move might trigger symptoms. Infectious bronchitis (IB,) mycoplasama (MG,) ILT, coryza, and aspergillosis are some of the common ones to read about in this link: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Some diseases are viruses, while some are bacterial, and then some are caused by mold in the coop or environment. Your chicken may be chilling as sick chickens will do, and she may benefit by bringing her into a spare room in the house if you have a crate or box for her. Watch for runny nose, eye drainage or foam, sneeze or cough, and rattly breathing or gasping. The bacterial diseases may respond to antibiotics such as Tylan and the tetracycline drugs.

We got the chickens from a guy of Craigslist who was selling them. When we picked them up the guy have a very nice large coop and very clean. So it appeared they were well cared for. I haven't noticed any drainage but will keep an eye on it. I don't have anything to keep her in, inside the house. Should I take her to a vet to get checked out?

If you can get her to a vet, you may get a better idea of what's wrong. Vets can be expensive, and some aren't very experienced with chickens, but they have xrays and other testing, as well as better antibiotics than what you can get in farm stores, if they are needed. With a virus such as IB, it will have to run it's course over a few weeks. However, other ones may respond to antibiotics. I would opt for a vet if possible.

I think she is better. She is back to the normal from what I know of her. She still has the laryngitis. But she is back to running around eating and drinking normal. I never did take her to the vet.

I think she is better. She is back to the normal from what I know of her. She still has the laryngitis. But she is back to running around eating and drinking normal. I never did take her to the vet.
Yay! Just out of curiosity will u be planning on getting more breeds in the future?

Back
Top Bottom