Son's College Roommate Rant

Quote:
tongue.gif
I am 40 and I still ask my parents for advice...
old.gif
Wisdom is wonderful...
love.gif

Your son is a man grown. And at 18 the young man can vote, serve in the armed forces, that qualifies as being grown up at least in my book.

College- Army Reserve.

Asking Mom and Dad for advice is a bit different than Mom "giving" advice.

Let him handle it himself. Give him your advice, if asked, then let him run with it.

What would I do. Tell that roomie of mine that I ain't budging, if he wants to live with his "Homie" he better find a place to do it.

Your sinereo is pretty much what happened I just phrased it wrong in my original post. My rant was that they guy was asking him to move out. I appreciate all the advice and I will definately carefully word my posts to eliminate any confusion.

If your sons roomate wants his other buddy , then he should move! Maybe the policy will give him better insite on what answer he should give. It would be a shame for him to be penalized because of giving in.

Quote:
I should clarify I just gave him my opinion and he made his decision. The kid is also a little overwhelmed. Gone for 2-1/2 months right after grad. party. Landed at 8:30pm Thursday 09/02, loaded in car at 6:00am 09/03 (my BD, 4 hour car ride each way) dropped off at college for a day and a half and home for the Labor Day Holiday. Back up for the first full week and then this came up. Hey he signed up at 17 was in boot camp the entire summer before his senior year and was gone again this past summer for his AIT training so I he is independent but if you can't ask for your parents opinion what good are we?

fasbendera - it sounds to me like you have raised a high achiever. That's something to be proud of.
Hikerchick- call your mom.
smile.png
I'm sure she still needs to feel needed by her child.

Last edited:
If the roommate wants to switch things up then the roommate needs to be the one to move. There are contracts regarding living situations in college dorms. Your son doesn't have to move out just because his roommate told him too.

The roommate should also be the one dealing with all the fees associated with switching rooms. Have your son check with the office at the school that deals with this issue, to make sure he doesn't get the raw end of the deal.

Moorhead State. He hasn't heard from the roommate since he said he wants to stay in the room. He will have to go online or stop at the housing office to see what is up.
Beyond the fact that he is an adult there has been some excellent advice here like school policy, possible fines, ect. It has been quite a few years since I was in college and when I changed roommates in the middle of my Sophomore year we found another room to move into.
At first I was regretting posting this because of the "he is an adult" comments that started coming in. (Trust me nobody is going to be as happy or as proud of him as I am when he is fullly out of the coop) But actually I am glad because some very good points have been brought up that hadn't even entered into my mind.
What he chooses to do is entirely up to him as I have told him since the beginning of his senior year in high school "You need to be an active participant in your own life. We can't live your life for you." This was during the college search which he was slow to get going on and we left entirely and I do mean entirely up to him. (I didn't lift a finger or fill out one form).

MOST people still value their parents opinions. There are people out there that have parents like mine, that think if you don't take their advice you hate them.
lol.png
I am almost 48 and my mom is just now getting over it. However, at 18 or 19, I was lost all by myself.

Quote:
Don't worry about it! It's not like he's 35 still at home with Mommy and Daddy. He's an 18 year old kid in college...and c'mon...we were all idiots when we were 18 (even if we didn't think so at the time). It is a good thing to offer sage advice and wisdom to someone who is 18.

Actually, this is nothing unusual. When I was in college a buddy and I convinced 18 other guys to move so that I could get rid of my present roommate and my buddy could move in. We took a long list of names to the dorms' office, and they handled the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom