Soo.. what, exactly, is the ideal duckling food?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lilstar, Apr 14, 2012.

1. lilstar

lilstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    I bought a bag of turkey starter on the advice of the feed store saying that thats the correct amount of protein for a duckling. Now I've been reading that that might not be best? I don't know what % protein it is because the feed store packages up smaller bags itself so no label, brand or anything. The more I read about feeding these babies, the more confused I'm getting!

2. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

according to Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, by Dave Holderread:

1. 18-20% for the first 2 weeks, fed free choice (often labeled starter feed)
    2. 16-18 % for 2-7 weeks, fed free choice for 5 minutes, twice daily (often labeled grower feed)
    3. 15-16% for weeks 7-20. (often labeled developer feed) Amount depends on breed.
    • Small breed - .15-.25 lbs
    • egg breed - .20-.30 lbs
    • Medium breed .25-.35 lbs
    • Large breed - .30-.40 lbs
    • Muscovy - .20-.40 lbs

Don't forget the extra niacin, unless you are feeding something specifically formulated for waterfowl. I provide mine in the form of Brewers Yeast, which I purchase at my local health food store.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I bought from our feed store duck grower

4. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I feed Purina Flock Raiser to all my poultry and they forage during the day.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    X2 [crumbles]

6. lilstar

Apr 8, 2011
    I think I need to see if the library has that book and check it out. They are 1 week old today so they still get food whenever they want. I'll call the feed store tomorrow to find out about the % on the particular feed I have. so starting next week I only put food in their brooder twice a day, then remove it after 5 minutes? Is that right? I have 2 rouens and 1 mixed. the mixed is I think half cayuga and... magpie?! not sure. so is that small, egg, medium, or large? I think i've seen the brewer's yeast in bulk bins at the grocery store, so I'll pick some up. any particular amount I should sprinkle on their food?... checking the library website for the book now!

7. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi

I've never heard of taking away their foor at such a young age. The only time I have heard about taking away food was during the night as adults . All my flock gets food available 24/7. Maybe once they are adult age I will stop feeding at night but not until then. I have 1 Pekin and 7 Mallards as well as 24 chicks. All ranging from 3 weeks to 7 weeks old.

8. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    For my ducks (age ranges from 6 weeks to 8 months) I leave the feed out 24/7. Even when I did have small (week old) ducklings I kept their feed available at all times because they liked to eat at different times and separately.

9. lilstar

Apr 8, 2011
    That seems easier. I thought Tahai's post was talking about only offering feed 2x/day. Hey, is nutritional yeast okay instead of brewers? I have that already. Save me a trip if they can get their niacin that way. I got nervous earlier when I watched them try to walk on the hard wood and 2 could barely stand (rouens) the 1 i hatched seemed okay. They seem to do fine in their brooder on pine shavings and in the water they look like they have motors on their butts :D

10. lilstar

Apr 8, 2011
    I called and asked what % the turkey starter was and at first she said 28%! Then she said she'd double check and its actually 21%. Slightly high for the first 2 weeks. The chick starter they have is 16%. I'm thinking I'll use the turkey starter for one more week, then switch to the chick starter until 20 weeks, supplementing niacin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by