Soon to be Homesteader - Chickens are in my future

drswann

Chirping
Jul 10, 2020
Hello. I found this forum purely by accident and glad I did. The closest I've been to live chickens is at Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago. Purchased an acre of land for my family to live on. Based on my research so far we've decided that chickens are in our future. Mostly for eggs. Us city dwellers simply aren't ready for butchering a chicken to eat.

This adventure is still a year or so away so I don't have any chickens yet but I am interested in learning all I can prior to getting them.

Breed recommendations would be great. There will be younger kids and they are excited.

Currently just the honey & I living in AZ. Our land is in Northern AZ. My son & his family are still in Chicago but will be moving here soon. We all know this is going to be hard work and we are all excited. My other have is a fixer/create from what we have type. Zombie apocalypse....follow him! I'm more a get it done type but love getting lost in a book, exploring and hiking. Between all of us we have 3 cats and dog.

I can't wait to learn more and begin this adventure.

Attachments

• 2020-06-26_1326.png
    2020-06-26_1326.png
    276.5 KB · Views: 12
Hello. I found this forum purely by accident and glad I did. The closest I've been to live chickens is at Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago. Purchased an acre of land for my family to live on. Based on my research so far we've decided that chickens are in our future. Mostly for eggs. Us city dwellers simply aren't ready for butchering a chicken to eat.

This adventure is still a year or so away so I don't have any chickens yet but I am interested in learning all I can prior to getting them.

Breed recommendations would be great. There will be younger kids and they are excited.

Currently just the honey & I living in AZ. Our land is in Northern AZ. My son & his family are still in Chicago but will be moving here soon. We all know this is going to be hard work and we are all excited. My other have is a fixer/create from what we have type. Zombie apocalypse....follow him! I'm more a get it done type but love getting lost in a book, exploring and hiking. Between all of us we have 3 cats and dog.

Welcome. Actually lots of us from Chicago suburbs. Congrats! I wish I could make the move to a homestead. Chickens are great but will require a bit of research to do it right. I am having some trouble integrating new chickens with the somewhat aggressive Gold Comets I've had. Live and learn. Lots of helpful people here so dont be afraid to ask questions.

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people! Check out the various forums...there are specific informational pages about specific breeds, and all sorts of things. We are older women who've made a 'rural homestead' with lots of raised vegetable beds, 10 chickens, and rabbits for meat. It's work but lots of fun...keep us posted and post pictures when you get further along!

Back
Top Bottom