1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soon to be layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dragonlair, Oct 11, 2010.

1. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    My pullets hatched on June 14th, so they are getting close to laying age. Since the days are getting shorter, should I put a light in their coop to extend the day so they will lay? (sort of poetic, dontcha think?) And nest boxes, should I wait until they start to lay or put it in before they start? I have a mixed flock, not really sure what they all are, though I do have 3 Polish. I think a couple are Blue Andalusians and a couple more look just like them only they are splash. I think another one is a Leghorn, maybe a couple are EE.

So, add the nest boxes soon or wait it out until they decide to lay? Light or not?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Put out the nesting boxes at around 14-16 weeks. This will give them time to "practice" in the boxes before they lay.

Light or no light is a personal decision. I choose to let my hens have a natural break, so I do not add light.

3. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Thank you, I'll get the boxes set up and ready to put in for practice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by