Soon-to-be mother doe always defiles nest box

JanesBackyardBeginnings

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2020
Hello! I have started backyard rabbits and chickens this year.

We've already had one successful kindling from a doe last week and this week another doe is due (tomorrow) and I had put her nestbox in a week early because the other doe had pulled fur a whole week early (but kindled the expected date).

However! This doe keeps pulling anything placed in there out (hay/straw) and/or poops and pees all over it. I tried switching it to a different part of her pen and cleaning it out, trying again - same result.

Any thoughts or advice?

Should I just clean it out again tonight and tomorrow until she kindles and hope she keeps out once she kindles? No fur pulling or anything yet.

Thanks!

cassie

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Don't put in a nest box until shortly before the doe is due to kindle If you put it in too early she will use it as a litterbox. I forget how soon to put it in. Maybe four days or so before she is due.

JanesBackyardBeginnings

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2020
Don't put in a nest box until shortly before the doe is due to kindle If you put it in too early she will use it as a litterbox. I forget how soon to put it in. Maybe four days or so before she is due.

Thanks, yeah, the first doe didn't she actually pulled fur and made the nest a week early, so I just wasn't sure if the others would.

Luckily I cleaned it out again and she made her nest just fine the night she kindled.

Top Bottom