SOOO Nervous

GothChick

Songster
13 Years
Sep 5, 2010
Wisconsin
So I won some BCM eggs and am planning to try hatching them. I got my Brower Top Hatch Incubator on Saturday and have had it running since I got it. I think everything is set up right but I'm so nervous that something will go wrong. My husband already thinks I'm nuts for spending $50 on eggs so if none hatch I will hear about it forever.
barnie.gif
UGH this is so terrible. I'm so worried! I really hope everything works right.
fl.gif
Anyone have any advice?

Just relax, read everything you can and try to glean out what works for you, and then just do it. It's not nearly as much fun if you freak out over it (trust me), so enjoy yourself.

I was terrified with my first incubation. Absolutely, positively sure I would do something wrong to kill the eggs.

What a surprise it was to have 6 of 7 eggs hatch! (I attribute that to the incubator, not to ME. It's nearly fool-proof.)

You'll be fine. If I can hatch eggs, you can hatch eggs. REALLY.

I'm just worried that something will go wrong with the incubator or something. It's turning out to be a very expensive hobby. So far $170 for the incubator and $50 for eggs and I haven't bought a hygrometer or extra thermometer. My hubby thinks I'm losing my mind. I guess as long as I get one female chick out of all of this I will be happy.

I started with a Brinsea Mini Advance for my very first incubation and hatch. I have since ADDED another, plus two Brinsea Mini Advance EX models - those are not only fool-proof, they are STUPID-proof! I've also added two Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance EX models. Yup. Six incubators. All Brinsea. Four of 'em hold 7 eggs, two of 'em hold 24 eggs.... although I've only been able to put 18 eggs in 'em, using the dividers which hold the eggs upright and nicely padded.

They were all on sale and I got them directly from the Brinsea web-site http://www.brinsea.com - I have NEVER seen them any cheaper anywhere else. Even eBay auctions start out higher for new units, and the only cheaper were used ones, which quickly got up to the non-sale prices.

Only the EX models include the humidity pumps, which I so totally appreciate! And they're much more expensive, of course. The Mini Advance has the auto turner and will count down the days, actually stop turning for lock-down for you. But you have to monitor the humidity yourself - I use a little Petco hygrometer in with the eggs - and adjust it yourself by adding water to the reservoir, or "venting" some excess, with those models.

"Advance" models have the auto-turners. You can get Mini ECO, and Octagon ECO models without turners or humidity pumps, but "fool proof" in my book means something has to turn the eggs automatically.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks so much! I have been eyeballing the Brinsea models. I am thinking the one without the humidity pump, just because of price. I think it is only a matter of time before I just go ahead and get one ........hey, I have a birthday coming up!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom