Soooo idk what I have....

LowLady

Songster
Jan 13, 2018
Hoping those who are more familiar with breeds can tell me what I got. We were in tractor supply (for two solar lamps) and left with 6 chicks ( idk what happened ). I asked for 2 golden laced Wyandottes, 2 barred rocks , and got talked into 2 Orpingtons. I got home and thought the barred rocks looked funny so I googled them thinking possibly there was diff variations but I’m going with no. So I’m hoping someone could tell me what we have ?

E4A8493D-A5EF-4B98-AC17-928E01B25B0C.jpeg
8D96FD36-CBDE-403A-AB86-239F898E60EB.jpeg

Attachments

• F5D943B4-D011-4CCD-85F2-86A8F506ED9A.jpeg
    F5D943B4-D011-4CCD-85F2-86A8F506ED9A.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 6
Well, I know how you left with 6 chicks. They have a 6 chick minimum or at least that is what they told me when I asked for 3 ISA browns and 1 Buff Orp...I figured I roll the dice on one unsexed chick. They loaded me up with 3 ISA browns and 3 BO's which got me 2 roos and a hen. My first thought in looking at your pics was barred rock. Seems like yours have a bit more yellow than what I was thinking but it could be the lighting. I'll go with BR's though.

That is a black chick. It will probably grow up to be a black chicken, which does not really narrow down the field. It does not appear to have a head spot, which eliminates Marans, dominiques, and barred Rocks (as well as all other barred chickens.)

Common black breed with single combs are Australorps, Jersey giants, Minorcas, Andalusians, and Asian Blacks. Some type of black sexlink is also a (strong) possibility.

I would suspect your chick to be an Australorp or a sexlink. Most likely a sexlink.

EDT: Almost certainly not a silver-laced Wyandotte. They have back stripes and their faces are...splotchier.

I guess I’ll figure it out when it’s an adult ! They were in the barred rock pullets bin so I’m praying they’re pullets even if they’re some odd breed I’d never get st least I got true barred rocks from my local feed store lol
View attachment 1311213
My TSC had a sign on the bin saying they had Australorps but the chicks looked identical to the Barred Rock chicks in the next bin :idunno I should probably go back and get some chicks :rolleyes:

I guess I’ll figure it out when it’s an adult ! They were in the barred rock pullets bin so I’m praying they’re pullets even if they’re some odd breed I’d never get st least I got true barred rocks from my local feed store lol
View attachment 1311213
That one seems to have a single comb and definitely has a head spot. I'm pretty sure that is a Barred Rock.

Back
Top Bottom