Sooooo Eggcited!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick1043, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    My dad said 'YES'!!!! As of right now we have 10 chickens. I just died, and we have to get rid of the roo! :( But sometimes we have to let go of things..Anyways! I asked him if we could get a Cayuga duckling (my first duck!) and a Silver Laced Wyandotte!! I have wanted a sliver laced wyandotte FOREVER!! Ever since I started raising chickens!! So yesterday I made a reserve at Dunlaps for the!! The duck will be named Nemo and the chick Bonnie!! March 2nd I will be raising chickens for 1 year! And Feb. 28th is when I go pick Nemo and Bonnie up from dunlaps! They wont be but a day old! (x I'm soooo excited to get my first duck!! I did research on raising ducks before I asked my dad and I know they can eat chick feed if its not medicated! Any tips though would be awesome!

#I<3mydad:)

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Congrats!
    I would get a second duck. They get a bit lonely when they are all alone.
    I had Cayugas. They are so very gentle and sweet. Not to mention how nice
    they look in the sun.

Tips:
    They like to have a friend.
    I would get 2 hens not a hen and a drake. He will stress her out if she is the only she.
    They can have a shallow pool when they are only a few days old. Make sure you limit the time
    in the pool until they are well feathered and can get out regularly on their own.
    MAKE SURE they can get out of the water on their own. Make a ramp of stones that they cannot dislodge. If not they can drown.
    All Flock is a good feed for ducks. You can feed layer feed if you are feeding hens once they are
    of laying age.
    Mine never wanted to go in the barn and had to be herded in at night to keep them safe.
    Foxes, raccoons, skunks and most other critters think ducks are even tastier than chickens.
    You can't beat a good fence.
    Even if they do not want to go in at night MAKE THEM.

I am glad you chose the Cayuga. They are wonderful pets and they are not loud.

3. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Thanks! Good thing I don't have to worry about predators here! Only hawks..They have been around in the trees and I MAKE sure to watch the chickens! But they have never done anything! They only kill the doves around here.

4. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Have fun with your new babies. I am so glad your dad said yes!

5. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Me too and thanks! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by