Songster
9 Years
Mar 30, 2010
New Hampshire
somad.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
I recieved a shipment today of 20 ducklings from Ideal poultry. Of the 19 they actually sent I recieved 1 dead, 1 half blind, 1 with a withered leg and 1 with a twisted foot. My husband culled the one with a withered leg already and the baby magpie with the twisted foot is currently cuddled in my lap waiting to go as well.
hit.gif
:hit Only magpie in the bunch and he's so sweet.
rant.gif
There is no way to fix them though, looks like birth defects, neither could walk. I'll be a little suprised if the blind one makes it, he keeps getting attacked.
hit.gif
This is such bull, how can they get away with sending birds like that? I can't tell the mallards from the rouens either, I thought hatcheries were supposed to clip their back toes if they were mallards? From what the federal wildlife service told me that is a federal law.

Aww honey that is so sad.
hugs.gif
we had a similar experience last year we went to the PO and opened up the box with my DD 6 and found 20 dead and dying chicks from McMurry. they refunded my money but I'm not doing that again. Not a fun ride home from the Po, not fun.

Quote:
It is a federal regulation that is seldom enforced. Many regulations are only enforced when they want to put pressure on people. I would contact Ideal poultry I think they use drop shipping and their people may have never seen your ducklings. In any case management should be made aware that you are unhappy with them. They depend on word of mouth and your post could easily kill 10 future sales. I expect they will try to make you happy if they can.

I usually don't hear stuff like this about Ideal's ducks. CALL THEM! If it is a sub-contractor that did this, they need to know.

I do intend to call them, just waiting for them to open right now. I know they have a good reputation, my mother orders all her banties from them and has been very happy, thats why I ordered ducks from them. I just have never had such a bad batch from a hatchery and it upset me having to put some down when I wasn't expecting to have to.

I am so sorry! Let us know what Ideal says. I have never had problems with any chicks I have received. Probably just a bad producer, and Ideal needs to know about it! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I have noticed with some of the Magpies I have seen @ Atwood's (who order from Ideal) that some of the ducklings' eyes were malformed and very small. It is very possible this is the same breeder. Keep us updated!

LOL it hasn't been too bad, I am just a grumpy over due pregnant lady for the most part. My emotions are running high right now, so the ducklings got to me more than they probably should have. We called Ideal and they are going to replace all the ducklings with issues. I have 2 others I am watching, one is very lethargic even after water with electrolytes and the other appears to be having trouble walking. I am hoping for less issues with the next batch. hopefully though my Holderread stock will be in next week
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom