soprific hen whats wrong!!!!!!

hoppingchicks

Songster
Apr 1, 2020
norflok,england
hay my hen has been acting strangely she seems reluctant to come out of the coup and she is sleeping a lot, I'm getting a bit worried, its been about 4 days since this has been happening
please help
thank you
hoppingchicks

Does she sit in the nestbox all fluffed up and screeching when you try to reach for her?

If so she might be broody.

If not there could be something wrong with her like mites - she would look quite pale then.

Or a problem with her oviduct like an egg not passing or an infection going on. How does her rear end look like, is it clean or messy?

Or she might have a problem with her leg or feet i.e. bumble foot.

Does she sit in the nestbox all fluffed up and screeching when you try to reach for her?

If so she might be broody.

If not there could be something wrong with her like mites - she would look quite pale then.

Or a problem with her oviduct like an egg not passing or an infection going on. How does her rear end look like, is it clean or messy?

Or she might have a problem with her leg or feet i.e. bumblefoot.
I don't think she is broody but I did see something on her foot like a blister that's gone hard.
hoppingchicks

The vet on TV, the Incredible Dr. Pol treats bumble foot by placing antibiotic ointment on the foot. If you have some triple antibiotic ointment or Neosporin you could use that temporarily until you can get some. You can also order antibiotic spray online from Amazon for all animals that is Veterinary grade which is good to keep on hand for all your animals. I just got some in last week for myself that is good stuff and not too pricey for the quality and need to have for the number of animals that can get into situations at the blink of an eye with mischievous hens and little dogs that I have. 11 to be sure at my house with another furry friend coming in the way of a Giant Schnauzer to boot. I must have rocks in my head but my mini is my best friend and my son needs one for himself. They are God’s gift. He lost both of his grandparents last year so he needs some extra love back in his life.
I think the ointment will really help. I wish I knew the proper dose of a liquid anti inflammatory to give chickens safely but I do not so I would be very afraid to even discuss this with you as far as trying that for some pain relief for her but I am sure with the ointment after a few days she will be fit to do her regular activities.
Good luck and have a great day in and out of the coop!
Pam

The vet on TV, the Incredible Dr. Pol treats bumble foot by placing antibiotic ointment on the foot. If you have some triple antibiotic ointment or Neosporin you could use that temporarily until you can get some. You can also order antibiotic spray online from Amazon for all animals that is Veterinary grade which is good to keep on hand for all your animals. I just got some in last week for myself that is good stuff and not too pricey for the quality and need to have for the number of animals that can get into situations at the blink of an eye with mischievous hens and little dogs that I have. 11 to be sure at my house with another furry friend coming in the way of a Giant Schnauzer to boot. I must have rocks in my head but my mini is my best friend and my son needs one for himself. They are God’s gift. He lost both of his grandparents last year so he needs some extra love back in his life.
I think the ointment will really help. I wish I knew the proper dose of a liquid anti-inflammatory to give chickens safely but I do not so I would be very afraid to even discuss this with you as far as trying that for some pain relief for her but I am sure with the ointment after a few days she will be fit to do her regular activities.
Good luck and have a great day in and out of the coop!
Pam
hi pam
thanks for the tip I will have a look on amazon,
I love dogs too my personal fave is my friend's lab, Beebee, I don't have a dog but I live in a big family so not much room but I have three hens and a cockerel,
they are my best friends and I could spend all day with them,
and I thank God every day for giving them to me to look after
bless you
hoppingchicks( Freda ) ;)

Back
Top Bottom