Sore butts!!!!!!!

tkline704

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
I have 8 hens that have been together in the coop/run for a few months now with no problems. Within the last few days, everyone is chasing and pecking at each others back end, just below the vent. All 8 have a sore spots and missing feathers - what is this from and how can I stop it before it gets out of hand! HELP PLEASE!

Have you checked around the vent for lice or mites?
What are they eating? I mean everything, type of feed (protein %), treats, scratch, table scraps, etc..
They'll be attracted to any wounds so you may have to use some blu-kote till it's under control.

Thank you for your response. Yes, I did check the vent area and that seems fine. They have been eating the same for (from Tractor Supply) for layers since December. As far as table scraps, the only thing I have ever given them is vegetable scraps. I'm big into fresh veggies, so that what I share with them. Nothing has changed there either. I have heard of blu-kote, but where can I find it?

Most feed stores carry it and I think TSC does as well. You can also get it online.

The layer feed from TSC is likely 16% protein. If they're getting a lot of veggies (not a bad thing) it could be cutting the overall crude protein intake to 15 or less. Try getting a couple cans of Mackerel and give a half can every other day. It's about 60% protein (more importantly, animal protein) and after the two cans are gone, you should see a change if the problem is low protein.
Feathers are over 90% protein so feather picking and resulting cannibalism are often a sign they need more protein.

Back
Top Bottom