sore chicken bum

Xtineart

Chirping
5 Years
May 3, 2014
hi sweeties, wonder if anyone knows the answer to my baby beast's sore bum problem?

My sweetest gingerbeast rescue hen has never regrown the feathers on her bum, a strip down her breastbone and her crop and although she's happy, healthy, lays the biggest eggs (100g!!! :-0) she is always sore and itchy and her skin is often red raw and flaky and her bum mucky. She's wormed, treated for lice, mites, gleet etc and occasionally gets bathed and slathered in sudocrem or calamine to soothe her. She gets fed the same as my others with plenty shell, grit and supplements as well as full day free ranging. All the vet could do was give us a bottle of anti inflammatory painkillers to giver her when she really looks to be suffering and sad. Anything you can think of? could she be allergic to her straw bedding or something as she likes to nest at night? Just love her to bits and hate when she looks sore and sad.

Are you sure it isn't feather picking? The others may be careful not to let you see this. Is she at the bottom of the pecking order? If so and you can identify the main feather picker, remove that hen for a week, out of sight and sound. so when she returns to the flock she will be at the bottom of the pecking order.

I may be all wet, just thought it was worth asking. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom