Bare Bum Chicken Winter Frostbite Concerns

Jan 3, 2022
*** Barred Rock, 10 months old, Free Range

This was my first year ever having chickens, and I made a mistake back in the summer with one of my hens.. her name is Sweet Pea.

The same day I wanted to catch her and trim her bum (because there was a lot of feces globbed into her feathers) was the day she came out of the hen house covered in egg (she even had a ceramic egg stuck to her breast) and without thinking I put her in the kiddie pool BEFORE I trimmed her bum ...and that was very foolish. Feathers look very different when they are wet and I trimmed too much..but I thought she would have regrown her feathers by now?? 3 out of 7 flock mates have molted, and I'm not sure what to do.

The weather keeps getting colder and I'm afraid she will get frostbite.. What temperatures are healthy for her to remain outside? I brought her in the other day because it was terribly cold and rainy, but she was absolutely miserable.. I'm afraid the stress of keeping her away from the flock will make things even worse. I've been trying soothe and heal the skin with this spray and prep the skin for the salve..this is day 3 of using it. I'm not sure if it is actually helping or not. :( Is she going to be okay? I am having a hard time forgiving myself for putting her through this.

God Bless and thank you all in advance for any help provided.

Attachments

• sweetbooboo.png
    sweetbooboo.png
    6 MB · Views: 28
  • DSCN0814.JPG
    DSCN0814.JPG
    362.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0815.JPG
    DSCN0815.JPG
    338.6 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0816.JPG
    DSCN0816.JPG
    343.3 KB · Views: 8
How cold has it been getting where you are?

I don't know anything about the product you're using. Except for what I see on the label though.

Back
Top Bottom