Sore foot, limping

oakhavenmama

Songster
6 Years
Feb 14, 2017
San Antonio, Texas
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Crazy day to have a hen with a new issue.

Last night I noticed Big Red, my Rhode Island Red, limping again. We just got over bumblefoot in 4 of my 5 hens, which took several months. Anyway, I looked at her foot and there is a red spot on one of her toes. See photo attached. It clearly hurts her, she holds her toes curled so I can't bandage them. I put neosporin on it and wrapped it, because it looks like the "skin" or scales are broken and red underneath.

This evening when I was changing bandages, it looks like the toe is somewhat bruised. Maybe I accidentally stepped on her? I sure didn't realize it if so. I can't figure out what else could have happened to her.

Another issue Red has is very thin eggshells. She's probably between 2 1/2 and 4 and in the last month, I've started seeing wrinkly eggshells, and they alternate from being paper thin to thin. Any thoughts on this?

This morningI sent my son to the drug store for baby aspirin and he brought low strength aspirin and infant ibuprofen drops. Said he couldn't find baby aspirin. Are either of the ones that he got OK to give her?

Should I keep her in a crate so she can't walk around so much? Tomorrow I am going to soak her in Epsom Salt bath and see if that helps. Maybe crate her if y'all think that's OK. And go find some baby aspirin! I read somewhere that 1/2 is a dose for hens. Is that right?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2005.JPG
    IMG_2005.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 9
It clearly hurts her, she holds her toes curled so I can't bandage them. I put neosporin on it and wrapped it, because it looks like the "skin" or scales are broken and red underneath.

This evening when I was changing bandages, it looks like the toe is somewhat bruised.

Another issue Red has is very thin eggshells. She's probably between 2 1/2 and 4 and in the last month, I've started seeing wrinkly eggshells, and they alternate from being paper thin to thin. Any thoughts on this?

Can you post some photos - hen, whole leg and foot (bottom of foot too) and the wrinkly eggs?
If the toes are curled, what are you wrapping?
In the photo I see a small cut/scrape on the top of a toe? For some reason I can't imagine that would cause that much pain for her to cause limping.
Look at the bottom of the foot. You mention a bruised to, what's that look like?

Wrinkled eggs - what type of food/treats do you feed?
How long have you had her?
Common causes of wrinkled eggs are respiratory illness like Infectious Bronchitis, shell gland defect and disturbances within the flock.
Sounds like you're not quite sure of her age, so I would wonder if she ever had a respiratory illness.

So sorry for long delay. Thank you for your reply and for suggesting photos of bottom of foot. There was/is a sore on the bottom of her toe too, and the bruise that I mentioned. She must have caught her toe in something. It seems to be healing though, thank goodness. She was curling her toes when I would try to look at them, like they hurt. But they were straight when she was walking. She is no longer limping now. I've had Big Red for about 1 1/2 years now but I think she is at least 3. Don't think she had respiratory illness, I think it is calcium deficient related. I've been feeding her eggshells every day and the eggs are less wrinkly but still thin. Sorry no photos, been crazy busy here with Thanksgiving and aftermath. Hope all is well with you!

Low strength aspirin same as baby (81mg), check the box. No clue about ibuprofen dose.

Looks like the scale got torn off, possible she got her foot caught in something/somewhere. You could soak in Epsom Salt soak, continue with the Neosporin minus pain relief.

What are you feeding? Does she have access to Oyster Shells?
She has oyster shells but seems to prefer egg shells. They don't get sick or diarrhea from eating them and they seem to like, so I've been giving them one or two a day. She's doing much better, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom