Sore leg feathers?

Hollysaurus

Chirping
Jul 23, 2022
Idaho
My Coop
My Coop
Hello!

We have a light brahma and just recently noticed ones of her legs look sore. I think she is beginning to molt.
But anywho; I'll attach some photos; it looks quite red raw! I tried to see if it was bumble foot but it doesn't look like it. I'm not sure if one of her feathers have got infected some how?

If anyone has any idea what it could be and to suggest to purchase something for her I would be extremely thankful! ♥

[Edit] - Just wanted to mention I highly doubt it's mites. Her feet have always looked scaly due to her breed and she has feathered feet so they usually look messy. We use diatomaceous earth quite often in our coop and the other chickens are completely fine. But please if you think otherwise, let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• 369715462_265402583024142_6457411118606126915_n.jpg
    369715462_265402583024142_6457411118606126915_n.jpg
    811 KB · Views: 42
  • 370133878_245471971796072_6752898435528930971_n.jpg
    370133878_245471971796072_6752898435528930971_n.jpg
    665.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Hello!

We have a light brahma and just recently noticed ones of her legs look sore. I think she is beginning to molt.
But anywho; I'll attach some photos; it looks quite red raw! I tried to see if it was bumble foot but it doesn't look like it. I'm not sure if one of her feathers have got infected some how?

If anyone has any idea what it could be and to suggest to purchase something for her I would be extremely thankful! ♥

[Edit] - Just wanted to mention I highly doubt it's mites. Her feet have always looked scaly due to her breed and she has feathered feet so they usually look messy. We use diatomaceous earth quite often in our coop and the other chickens are completely fine. But please if you think otherwise, let me know your thoughts.
Hello! It seems like her legs are agitated and I think she might have broken a few pin feathers. Although it's not common sometimes other hens will bully hens or even roosters with feathered legs and they will peck at the skin on the legs and damage or rip out feathers. You should keep an eye on her and watch if any hens are bullying her and figure out who to put in "chicken jail"

Hello!

I’d just clean them and keep an eye on her to make sure either other birds or herself aren’t picking on them. They look sensitive, so try to avoid touching them after cleaning.

I’d just clean them and keep an eye on her to make sure either other birds or herself aren’t picking on them. They look sensitive, so try to avoid touching them after cleaning.
Thank you! What would you suggest to clean it in? I heard having luke warm water and some salt is good? I have people saying Salt or Epsom Salt? Is either fine? I appreciate the help. ♥

Hello! It seems like her legs are agitated and I think she might have broken a few pin feathers. Although it's not common sometimes other hens will bully hens or even roosters with feathered legs and they will peck at the skin on the legs and damage or rip out feathers. You should keep an eye on her and watch if any hens are bullying her and figure out who to put in "chicken jail"
Thank you, I haven't seen any bullying, the girls are pretty good with one another. The only one who is pushy is the Rhode Island Red; but our Silver Wyandotte is the boss. I do believe she is molting from what I can see. White feathers are appearing in the backyard. Our Silver Wyandotte has just had a molt and we got them all roughly around the same time so they're all pretty much due for a molt. They're only a year and a half old (roughly) None of them have had a molt yet so this is their first.

Can a molt cause issues on legs for those with feathers? I'd love to know how to treat her legs. I heard Epsom Salt is good in warm water but I wonder if normal Salt would work just as good? To keep infection away? I appreciate the help! ♥

Thank you! What would you suggest to clean it in? I heard having luke warm water and some salt is good? I have people saying Salt or Epsom Salt? Is either fine? I appreciate the help. ♥
Yeah, some warm water (not hot) and epsom salt is good as long as there’s no open wounds. I’d let them air-dry after that, and if you have vetercyrin or petroleum jelly, those works well for wound care.

Such a wealth of knowledge on here, thank you! We just had what looks like the same problem with our Belgium D'uccle - found one of his foot feathers had actually detached and there was dried up blood making him quite uncomfortable. So we gave his foot the warm salt bath and he's very happy now. Good to read your similar problem. Helps us feel better about our situation :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom