Sore on comb

Beta

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 11, 2013
I have a barred rock with a small brown sore on her comb. It appears others are interested in it as the tips are scabbed over. What should I do? Does the sore warrant a vet trip?

I'm not sure, but it could be a peck wound or some frostbite, especially on the tips. I would put some Polysporin or Neosporin without pain medicine on the comb, and make sure that you have plenty of ventilation in the coop. Also make sure they are not picking on her.

The tips look like frostbite to me, but I'm not sure about the other sore.

No, I do not think it requires a vet. It's just a sore, and just a chicken. They charge you $50 just to walk in the door, which is more than an average bird would even be worth. But, if she was more of a pet I would understand. My animals, although I do care about them, are just livestock, and will probably never see a vet. ;)

Good luck!

Thanks! Not frostbite, we live in FL. I think the other girls are pecking her comb causing tips to bleed and scab. Should I isolate her?

By the way, what temperature should I be concerned about frostbite? The sore is gone but now several barred rock girls have white powdery substance on comb.

By the way, what temperature should I be concerned about frostbite? The sore is gone but now several barred rock girls have white powdery substance on comb.
Frostbite usually occurs in temperatures below 25 degrees F. or so, but can occur in warmer weather if there is too much moisture or poor ventilation. White powdery substance on your other birds comb may just be dried skin (my birds occaisonally get some dry skin on their comb, especially in colder weather). Does it flake off? Its also possible that it is Favuus. It might be a good idea to look up some pictures of Favuus, and see if it looks similar to what your barred rocks are experiencing.

Back
Top Bottom