sore on my ducks beak. Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bock, Jun 2, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I caught my "female" Welsh Harlequin a few minutes ago, because we were suspicious that "she" was a he, and "she" is, in fact, a he. Anyway, I noticed a sore on under his right nostril, on his beak. It is a slightly raised bump, and it is warm to the touch. There is a scab the size of my fingernail at the top of the sore. I am guessing he got his beak caught on the wire in the pen and it got infected. How do you guys think I should treat it? I was about to drain it with a safety pin, but I wasn't totally confident, so I decided to ask you. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Please help! I don't know what to do. I keep waiting for advise so I can go help my baby. [​IMG]

3. Happycheese

Happycheese Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Carlisle, PA
    I wouldn't drain it unless it's obvious there is puss there. Their beaks are filled with blood and you could hurt him. I would put antiboitic on it at least for tonight and put liquid bandage over it so it doesn't wash off in the water.

4. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thank you!! I am pretty sure it is filled with puss, and it just keeps getting bigger! I am going to have to pick up some of that liquid bandaid. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by