Sorry but One more time---when can I get my chicks into outside coop??

samuels

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 10, 2007
Ive read all the questions about chicks temperature, etc. but am still a little fuzzy---dont want to lose them now! I have them in my basement room---they are 3 weeks old Saturday (4-12) and doing fine--35 of them--standard size. I have a nice coop for them which I can put a 250 watt heat bulb in---will get the temp up to about 85 under the bulb. I am in northern Indiana--night temps right now can get down to 30 but usually more in the 40s. Would like to get them into their new home as soon as possible as the basement room has turned into a royal mess. Would appreciate your advice.

I didn't let our girls out until they were five weeks old and also had no more chick fluff on them. Hope that helps.

Most people seem to like to wait, but I like to get the babies out as soon as I can, It seems to me to be more beneficial for them. I move mine out to the coop usually at 4 weeks of age. I keep a heat lamp on for a few more weeks, but all of mine have done fine. They just love all the extra room!!

If you can keep the temps that warm under the light without any drafts, then your new coop can also serve as a brooder. I would go ahead and make the move....Alot of good bedding and the light on 24/7 and you should be ok. I would have the light on, and things warm, before I made the move....good luck.

bigzio

I'm glad you posted this question!

I'm thinking about putting my chicks out in the coop. Mine are in my kitchen right now and it's getting a bit stinky, regardless of how much time I spend cleaning up after them! One batch is about to outgrow their brooder.

Mine are just about 2 and 3 weeks old and I will treat the coop like a brooder. I've got a big round of cardboard and will corral them in, use the heat lamp 24/7 and deal with them just like I would if they were in the house. I live on the western side of north-central Illinois. My coop is in a garden shed that's able to be closed up tight. I'll keep it closed up according to the weather.

Our outdoor temps are pretty much like you described yours right now. If Spring would just hurry up and get here, we wouldn't have such a problem.
roll.png

Quote:
I know what you mean about stinky! I too, can't seem to keep them stink free! It is helping get my DH hoping to get the coop started though!
lol.png
Hopefully we can get it done in the next few days!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom