1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

sort of delicate question.......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kelly FG, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    Are your hens extra ummmm for lack of a better word......Horny now that Spring is almost here?
    [​IMG]
    I mean I know laying hens squat but I've got a super squat-fest going on here & I'm not sure if its normal.
    My girls will be two years old in a few weeks & after a very slow winter of molting(near death for one of them) & very few eggs they are back to laying full force which I'm thrilled about. However I'm starting to feel like maybe they NEED a rooster. I walk out the back door and as I attempt to walk by they drop to the mating postion & wait for the sorry subsitute for chicken sex I can provide for them with a rub down [​IMG] They really get into it & sometimes all seven of them will be down at one time waiting for "their turn", then they'll often come back over to me for "more"[​IMG]
    I'm thinking I might be the Ron Jeremy of chicken lovin'. [​IMG]
    Even my voice is enough to make them squat. [​IMG]

Is this a normal occurance or am I experiencing something totally bizarre?

2. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Songster

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Maybe putting a pin-up of yourself in a roo suit on the coop wall would help? [​IMG]

3. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    [​IMG]:gig

4. Ericasl

Ericasl Songster

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    [​IMG][​IMG] We should all call you Mc Chicken Lovin!! I have no answer for you I just thought what you wrote was so funny:gig

5. hencackle

hencackle Songster

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I'm so [​IMG] and "not with it" that I had to google that Ron person. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Ewwww....wish I hadn't.

McChicken Lovin--that's really funny. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  6. Meesh

Meesh Songster

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

:) Square root funny post!

- Michelle

7. Heidi

Heidi Songster

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I've noticed the same thing - all I do is say their name and they squat - no kidding. I didn't know if it was because of the lack of a roo or not. If so in a month they will be getting over it as they will have a roo. [​IMG]

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm biting my tongue, choking, and rolling on the floor! Thank God I didn't read this in the class! Hope you don't get carpal tunnel rubbing them all!
    K

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG]

10. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Songster

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Haha! What I was gonna say I wont, I'll get kicked off the site... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: