Sort of good news

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pbjmaker, Jun 12, 2008.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Ok I couldn't wait till day 10 to candle again so as I was turning them I quick candled my 42 assorted eggs. At least 6 of them have definate development going on - but it looks like 4 of those have floating air cells. A lot of the eggs are a dark brown - so its hard to tell what is going on in there.

But YAY for 6!

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Good luck, I got a flashlight from Wal-Mart, Rayovac 81 lumins (spelling) and you can see with the bown eggs. It works good. But it did cost $24.99.

3. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I am using an LED light - I guess I should rephrase that as all I can see is a dark blob [​IMG]

Except what I think are the Maran or Pendesca eggs - My neighbors son has a $150 scuba diving flashlight that would really light things up - might ask him if I could borrow it sometime next week.

4. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I just bought a regular candler from the feed store for $14.95 works great.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Can you see veins? Even with dark eggs you can usually see the veins if they are developing.

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I took mine in a really dark room, no windows, no light. I could see the Marans development with a homemade 40 watt candler, but they weren't the darkest eggs.

7. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I took them in my closet:D

As of now all I can see is the dark blob of the yolk. This happened with my first batch and I thought they weren't developing but I left them in the bator. Lo and behold most of the ones I questioned did develop chicks. I'll just wait them out some more unless I see bad signs.

8. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    I've had some difficulty seeing into my Marans and Ameraucana eggs. Today one of my "dark blob" eggs is hatching. I guess there hope yet!

9. clarkestep

clarkestep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    My DH has this headlight flashlight that he uses when he backpacks. It has a white light and a red light. I was messing around trying to candle my eggs and on the darker eggs I could see better with the red light. Couldn't see everything but I could see more.

JC

10. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Hooray! It's always a relief to know that something is growing in those eggs while you are trying to patiently wait. [​IMG] Sam's sells a double pack of flashlights with 150 lumens for $28 and that's what I bought to candle with. That was the best $28 that I ever spent! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by