SOS! Chick with fluid in beak!!

Shelbi12

Hatching
Sep 21, 2020
I have this Silver death-layer chick that was perfectly fine eating, drinking, and moving last night. Woke up this morning with slimy clear fluid in its mouth. No cough or sounds. No signs of anything in its throat, and crop seems empty. It is lethargic acting and wants to keep eyes closed. No sign of fluid around eyes or nasal cavities. Has been removed from rest of chicks.

Recently I found bloody poop in my brooder and was recommended to do a corid treatment just in case. Did the recommended dose and treated for 5 days. I have had 3 other chicks die so far since then (never saw any of them act like this they died overnight). It would kill me to lose this one or any more of my chicks. The brooder is also kept in the shed with the rest of my main adult flock. Any answers?? Recommendation?? Thank you!!

I have never seen this in a chick, but have seen two adult chickens drool clear slime after receiving antibiotics. The first one died, and the second one recovered after being dosed with plain yogurt. I hope this helps! Good luck!

I was given a lethargic chick from TSC since it was unlikely it would survive. Overall, it just started out lethargic. I gave it electrolytes and got it to drink some water and the tiniest bit of food. It improved slightly before it began to spit up amounts of a clear/yellowish viscous mucus. I tried to wipe it away but it kept coming. Finally it choked out the last of it and died. When I asked around here, they said it could’ve been a freak disease or something. This might be the same thing, but I can’t be sure since no one knew what it was. As far as I know, the particular brood in that bin was in good shape and the chicks condition was exacerbated by the other chicks standing on top of it. I hope your chick pulls through! Its always sad to lose a chick, but sometimes things just happen you know?

Any updates? Really hoping the baby is getting better!
Sadly the chick passed, but so far the others that are left are doing well. I’m thinking it may have been respitory issues caused by our quick change in weather and the chicks huddling together, or a reaction to the corid they’ve had recently.

Back
Top Bottom