May 29, 2019
This morning my normally bossy, loudmouthed, super hungry, energetic hen (who happens to be the boss of the flock) was standing very still with pale combs and wattles. She wasn't interested in me coming out which was a red flag, nor was she responsive to treats--another HUGE red flag. Just last night she was herself, foraging around making a ton of noise, happy and eating. What could cause this 180 degree change?

A couple things:
  1. Heat Stroke: It's been in the 70s but very humid. I thought this could be the case, though, and took her in to cool down after hosing her. I no longer think this is the case because her comb and wattles are cool to the touch.
  2. Egg issues: She had just laid an egg before I came out that was perfectly normal, so it's hard to imagine this being egg-related.
  3. Poop: She did lay a watery-looking poop with small, long, thin logs in it which was weird looking--but this could be due to heat and reduced intake of food.
  4. Drinking/Eating: I'm having trouble getting her to do either. She very dozily ate a few mealworms and a couple crumbs of bread I managed to get probiotic gel onto.
  5. Overall demeanor: Standing quietly, eyes closing. Since taking her in her comb/wattles are redder but she is acting like she's in a daze.
What could this be? Do you think she ate something poisonous while foraging? Could it be worms? Should I start giving her an antibiotic? I have doxycycline and amoxicillin on hand, rooster booster, probiotic and calcium supplements, and de-wormers. I'm scared she's too weak to be de-wormed right now though.

Please help! And thank you!

Last edited:
Update: after syringing her water with rooster booster in it she perked up and started walking around and eating on her own. Soon after she dropped this troubling poop:

IMG_20200529_153713.jpg

IMG_20200529_153705.jpg

I'm hoping she passed something from her system but I'm concerned by the look of it. Possible EYP? Though she did lay a normal egg before this....

@Wyorp Rock @azygous @Eggcessive you have all been a huge help before so I'm hoping for your two cents. Can't get her into the vet till Monday :(

Last edited:
Sorry no one replied. :hugs How is your hen doing?
Thank you for following up. I'm happy to report she did a 180 across 24-48 hours or so. During that time we got her on amoxicillin and also syringed her electrolytes--so we're thinking this was either heat stress from laying in the hot coop or an infection. I guess we'll chalk it up to one of many unsolved chicken mysteries of life. Some good that came out of it: revamped the ventilation system in the coop and added solar reflective roofing and fans. All the girls are grateful.

Thanks again for checking in 😊

Back
Top Bottom