SOS!!! Nearly Drowned Hen

AShelDuck1

Chirping
Jun 9, 2023
Oklahoma
My hen nearly Drowned. My husband rescued her, I wrapped her in a towel and rubbed her, I fed her 1 cc of colloidal silver, got her scrambled eggs, and now she's up and about.

At this point I'm afraid of respiratory illness.

How long should I keep her separate

At this point I'm afraid of respiratory illness.

How long should I keep her separate
I do not see any way that keeping her separate would make a difference to respiratory illness, if she was living with the flock before the incident. She has already been exposed to all the same things they have.

So I would put her back with the flock as soon as she is acting like her normal self. If you see bullying, especially if she gets sick and then you see bullying, that would be a good reason to separate her. Even then, it is probably best if the "separation" can be where she and the others can still see and hear each other: using a wire dog crate, or dividing the main pen with wire mesh, or something like that. (That is not always possible, but when it is possible, it makes re-introduction much easier than if she had been inside your house or otherwise completely away from the rest of the flock.)

I do not see any way that keeping her separate would make a difference to respiratory illness, if she was living with the flock before the incident. She has already been exposed to all the same things they have.

So I would put her back with the flock as soon as she is acting like her normal self. If you see bullying, especially if she gets sick and then you see bullying, that would be a good reason to separate her. Even then, it is probably best if the "separation" can be where she and the others can still see and hear each other: using a wire dog crate, or dividing the main pen with wire mesh, or something like that. (That is not always possible, but when it is possible, it makes re-introduction much easier than if she had been inside your house or otherwise completely away from the rest of the flock.)
I guess I was worried that SHE would get a respiratory illness and make THE OTHERS sick. From drowning and getting water in her lungs

I guess I was worried that SHE would get a respiratory illness and make THE OTHERS sick. From drowning and getting water in her lungs
In that case, I don't know for sure. Hopefully someone else will know.

But if you want to keep her from spreading anything to them, that would mean keeping her completely away from the rest, which would increase stress on her (making her more likely to get sick.) And then you would have to re-introduce her later, the same way you would have to introduce a completely new hen.

I do not know what to recommend. Personally, I would put her back with the flock anyway, but I do not know if that would actually be the best choice.

Back
Top Bottom