Sound of Silence 6am - No More Crowing

I used stretchy medical gauze on my roo's neck this morning and he was quiet!!! At least until it fell off a couple of hours later. I'm going to try it again in the morning... would try it now but he's not having anything to do with me, just hiding under the plants giving me the stink eye. He's not even coming near me for mealworms, his favorite.

I used stretchy medical gauze on my roo's neck this morning and he was quiet!!! At least until it fell off a couple of hours later. I'm going to try it again in the morning... would try it now but he's not having anything to do with me, just hiding under the plants giving me the stink eye. He's not even coming near me for mealworms, his favorite.

You done made him mad.
lau.gif
Let us know if it works. You are talking about Vetwrap? I have some and wondered about it. I bought it so I could wrap around the bird before hanging to process. I'm cheap and don't have a cone. But I've not processed here at home before, and my time is acoming.

Round two goes to the rooster :( I stayed up watching the lightning last night so by the time I dragged myself to the chicken shed he was awake and waiting for me. Came out flying with what seemed like feet first. He's still pretty P.O.ed and the DH says either he figures out how to be quiet or it's the stew pot for him. Too bad because his crowing is his only fault. This last weekend he tried to protect his girls by taking on a Great Dane!

Linda, yes it was Vetwrap. I think I just needed a longer strip to make it stick.

Round three tomorrow! :barnie

It's Sunday mid morning and in just three days we have our chance to speak before a judge...I feel positive if for no other reason, I feel privileged to live in a country where I am allowed to stand up for a rooster. Ironic that I am speaking on behalf of a guy who's life is on the line for supposedly speaking too much! The thought makes me LOL;) The no-crow collars have not been too successful as he has a very thick, short neck...for a rooster anyway. Then this last Friday I was walking around while carrying him (he loves to be held) when he starts crowing, so I used my hand as a no-crow device but it doesn't work. He crows again but this time I applied a tad more pressure directly against his throat. Near silence! YES!!!
I've spent some time in the hardware store looking...for what I did not know, but something firm yet spongy? Rubbery? I ended up with some foam like pipe wrappers. So I took a soft, elastic/fabric material, 2 inches wide. We applied 2- one inch strips of velcro made especially for fabric and adhered it on either end of the elastic fabric (i'm sure it must have a name of some sort) and are using another piece for the middle, up against his throat and inserting a piece of the 1/2 inch foam glued with fabric glue under a thinner piece of cotton material. I have a good feeling about this working. My grand daughter is on her way to do the honors since it is "her rooster"! We are going to beat this thing, if not on Wednesday, then at the appeal!!
I have gotten a lot of of support and valuable, valuable advice from the folks on this forum. I have been flooded with grace ten fold and I want to let ya'll know how grateful we are to have you on our side!
Thank You! Thank You isn't enough, but again Thank You All!
Stay Tuned!
Megan
PS Kerby, I'll be in touch a little later today Sir!

It's Sunday mid morning and in just three days we have our chance to speak before a judge...I feel positive if for no other reason, I feel privileged to live in a country where I am allowed to stand up for a rooster. Ironic that I am speaking on behalf of a guy who's life is on the line for supposedly speaking too much! The thought makes me LOL;) The no-crow collars have not been too successful as he has a very thick, short neck...for a rooster anyway. Then this last Friday I was walking around while carrying him (he loves to be held) when he starts crowing, so I used my hand as a no-crow device but it doesn't work. He crows again but this time I applied a tad more pressure directly against his throat. Near silence! YES!!!
I've spent some time in the hardware store looking...for what I did not know, but something firm yet spongy? Rubbery? I ended up with some foam like pipe wrappers. So I took a soft, elastic/fabric material, 2 inches wide. We applied 2- one inch strips of velcro made especially for fabric and adhered it on either end of the elastic fabric (i'm sure it must have a name of some sort) and are using another piece for the middle, up against his throat and inserting a piece of the 1/2 inch foam glued with fabric glue under a thinner piece of cotton material. I have a good feeling about this working. My grand daughter is on her way to do the honors since it is "her rooster"! We are going to beat this thing, if not on Wednesday, then at the appeal!!
I have gotten a lot of of support and valuable, valuable advice from the folks on this forum. I have been flooded with grace ten fold and I want to let ya'll know how grateful we are to have you on our side!
Thank You! Thank You isn't enough, but again Thank You All!
Stay Tuned!
Megan
PS Kerby, I'll be in touch a little later today Sir!

Good luck on this. Please keep us informed on the effectiveness of the pipe foam contraption.
lau.gif

day one using an infants sock with velcro round it. He is in a cat carrier in the house until 10am. He had some quiet crows inside so I tightened it a little and since then silence…….. eating ok, strutting ok, drinking ok so fingers crossed. I have put mine higher up over his larynx working on the principle that's where he crows from.

day one using an infants sock with velcro round it. He is in a cat carrier in the house until 10am. He had some quiet crows inside so I tightened it a little and since then silence…….. eating ok, strutting ok, drinking ok so fingers crossed. I have put mine higher up over his larynx working on the principle that's where he crows from.

Good news! Keep us posted please.

2 very quiet crows this afternoon to tell me he had knocked over his water. No crowing this morning. Very pleased so far.

2 very quiet crows this afternoon to tell me he had knocked over his water. No crowing this morning. Very pleased so far.
That's wonderful news!!
I'll tell you, I have made four trips to JoAnn's fabric which resulted in a total of seven "I-crow-Just-Fine" collars in various thickness, stiffness, bulkiness, colors, sizes, etc.
But they all had one thing in common. They all failed!!!
Yesterday he was being just horrible! I know I had to do something quick before the neighbor started dialing the local PD. So I ran in the house and grabbed the first thing I could find to wrap around his neck. The first aid kit was out and inside it I found that tape that sticks to itself..I tore off a foot or so, brought him in, plopped him on his back and started wrapping. Once he got on his feet, he didn't back up, play dead...Nothing! He made all his familiar noises so I just knew. It wasn't going to work.
BUT IT DID!! Something so simple. Worked!!
Now. How to get out of this citation mess.....

So are you saying you used vetrap to make a collar? Is it still working? If so, can you post a photo?

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom