Sound of Silence 6am - No More Crowing

sad.png
he.gif
sad.png

He crowed.... but I checked on him and it had come loose a bit...I've tightened it and haven't heard him since, but I'm thinking I don't want to really have to tighten it every day. Maybe buttons or something would be better, although that would be less adjustable.
I'll try this for a couple more days anyway and see how it goes.

The original post from "ColdDay", the concern with the rubber band is real as is the loose strings from a sock BUT wonder if, depending on size of the Rooster, using children's socks with sewn edges may work. Seems you're all on the right track, just a matter of tension & securing the "apparel". Pressure/restriction on the neck/vocal cord, prevents crowing....Let's keep trying.

if you used buttons or snaps, they might end up getting swallowed by the roo, or hens that notice and peck at them.

True....buttons could cause trouble...
I think velcro will work once the rooster stops trying to remove it every time I tighten it. I've already noticed he doesn't worry about it as much now as the first sock I put on him, even though that sock was a lot looser than his velcro collar is...
One thing I don't like about socks, besides the loose strings, is that I think it probably stretches a bit with the rooster's neck when he tries to crow, unless of course it is a tight sock with not much elasticity which would be very hard to get over his head. Whatever the case is I couldn't get a sock to work, but with a bit of persistance I think the velcro collar will.

I knit a little muffler, but haven't had a chance to put it on my roo yet. However, you guys talking about velcro and such got me thinking about maybe trying a kid sized neoprene wrist wrap.... and then I though "Hey, why not a velcro cable tie!?" Something like these: http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Wrap-S...=1379438297&sr=8-4&keywords=velcro+cord+wraps
I've used them many times to tidy up cords and computer cables. They might be just the thing for roosters. I'd avoid using the red one, though.
wink.png

I'm looking at this situation from a physical therapy point of view and wondering if a bit of kinesio tape applied over the larynx would provide the needed inhibition without the strangulation risks. Now, don't ask me how to carry out the kinesiotaping, but I'll do some asking around in the next month and see what I come up with!

Very interesting! We are in a bad situation, the our neighborhood doesn't allow chickens so I'm setting up our case. We got 5 laying pullets and 3 chicks. 2 are 11 wk cochins and one is an 10 wk EE. One of the cochins turned out to be a cockerel. He has let out 2 or 3 half crows but only when he was provoked. The rest of the time he is silent. I hope we can fight extra hard to keep him because he's getting very handsome and is very sweet. I really would like to try out this trick! Thank you very much! I look forward to how it holds up!
Cochins are generally very quiet. Our rooster only makes a peep if something is wrong. When a kitten got into the run he flipped out. The only time he'd ever made any noise at all. Then one day he was on one side of the gate and his girls were on the other. He didn't like that! Lots of noise!

My cochin hen rarely peeps.

Cochins are generally very quiet. Our rooster only makes a peep if something is wrong. When a kitten got into the run he flipped out. The only time he'd ever made any noise at all. Then one day he was on one side of the gate and his girls were on the other. He didn't like that! Lots of noise!

My cochin hen rarely peeps.
That's nice to hear! I read they were a quiet breed. Oliver is quiet all the time, with his subtle noises. He's quieter than the other cochin chick who is a pullet and our EE pullet chick. Our leghorns get loud though, especially when they want to come out.

Back
Top Bottom