sound-proofing - experience with rooster box? (see bottom pg 2)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OCchickens, Apr 25, 2009.

1. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    We love our up & coming roos & were hoping to build them a little dark, soundproof house to pass their non-daylight hours in (we're in a suburban neighborhood). Wondered whether anyone else had tried this, and what soundproofing suggestions you have.

I was thinking of making it fairly small, maybe like 3x3, since they only need to sleep in there.

Also -- I know chickens get placid at night but wonder whether I would have a problem with putting the roos in there. I know roos tend to fight.
    I thought I might need to move them over there after they settle down for the night, but do you think they'll still fight (me or each other?)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Well I don't see the reason behind having a sound proof coop if its for night time only. Seeing as how roosters sleep at night and crow during the daylight hours.

3. OCchickens

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    I was thinking sound proof for night b/c I have definitely known roosters to crow at 3 am, plus a rooster's idea of time to get up prob. is different than my neighbors'. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  4. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Insulating it with foam board sandwiched between particle board might work.

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:you keep believing THAT one sweety.... LOL Dont call me at 2am when your roo wakes you up!

6. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    StrawberryHouseMouse must be a heavy sleeper like me.. :p

Using 2-3" thick foam between the studs will greatly deaden sound, but you'll need to figure out a way to dampen the sound that comes out of any and all vent openings.

To that extent, you could have a ply|foam|ply sandwich cut to around 2" overhang PAST the vent opening size, and then screwed on, allowing a 1" gap between the vent opening and sandwich, that would cut down on leaking sounds. Mind you I say cut down, not get rid of.

| |
    |
    |
    | |

^- like that, if it shows right..

7. tabatha_westcott

tabatha_westcott Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    A sound proof roo coop? Get rid of the roo... lol JK Let me know if it works...

8. OCchickens

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Thanks for the ideas so far!

I just had the idea to use my little tikes playhouse & spray foam insulation into the hollow walls. Anyone have experience with foam insulation? Any way to do it besides an expensive kit?

9. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Quote:Ooo, chickens love spray foam! If they find a way to get to it, they'll eat it all. That said, if it works, let me know. Our boys party all night!

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    They won't eat spray foam that is *inside* a wall [​IMG]

For whatever it's worth, my chickens are in a building (originally built for dogs) with 6" stud walls, fully insulated, with drywall inside and metal siding outside. With the coop windows closed, I can barely hear the crowing from my house ~100 ft away. So extra-thick walls may be worth considering, in addition to filling them with something sound-deadening.

Good luck,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by