sound-proofing - experience with rooster box? (see bottom pg 2)

OCchickens

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Brea, California
We love our up & coming roos & were hoping to build them a little dark, soundproof house to pass their non-daylight hours in (we're in a suburban neighborhood). Wondered whether anyone else had tried this, and what soundproofing suggestions you have.

I was thinking of making it fairly small, maybe like 3x3, since they only need to sleep in there.

Also -- I know chickens get placid at night but wonder whether I would have a problem with putting the roos in there. I know roos tend to fight.
I thought I might need to move them over there after they settle down for the night, but do you think they'll still fight (me or each other?)

Last edited:
I was thinking sound proof for night b/c I have definitely known roosters to crow at 3 am, plus a rooster's idea of time to get up prob. is different than my neighbors'.
smile.png

Last edited:
StrawberryHouseMouse must be a heavy sleeper like me.. :p

Using 2-3" thick foam between the studs will greatly deaden sound, but you'll need to figure out a way to dampen the sound that comes out of any and all vent openings.

To that extent, you could have a ply|foam|ply sandwich cut to around 2" overhang PAST the vent opening size, and then screwed on, allowing a 1" gap between the vent opening and sandwich, that would cut down on leaking sounds. Mind you I say cut down, not get rid of.

| |
|
|
| |

^- like that, if it shows right..

Thanks for the ideas so far!

I just had the idea to use my little tikes playhouse & spray foam insulation into the hollow walls. Anyone have experience with foam insulation? Any way to do it besides an expensive kit?

Quote:
Ooo, chickens love spray foam! If they find a way to get to it, they'll eat it all. That said, if it works, let me know. Our boys party all night!

They won't eat spray foam that is *inside* a wall
tongue.png

For whatever it's worth, my chickens are in a building (originally built for dogs) with 6" stud walls, fully insulated, with drywall inside and metal siding outside. With the coop windows closed, I can barely hear the crowing from my house ~100 ft away. So extra-thick walls may be worth considering, in addition to filling them with something sound-deadening.

Good luck,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom