Sound the alarm!!!

Kay Crowe

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
Northern Virginia
This afternoon I heard a stressed LOUD bokking from one of my backyard flock. Of course she was tucked around the side of the house without windows. I opened the back door to investigate and was greeted by four of my five girls. They were all silent, clustered together standing upright and alert. I dashed through them to the other side of the house where I could still hear Dumpling screaming.
She was running around a bush, flapping and hollering. When she saw me she ran to me and then back towards the fence. Then I saw why she was so distressed. Two of my neighbor's cats were in the side yard toying with a baby bird that had just left the nest. (I have popped both cats with a pellet gun for being in my yard and stalking my birds. I had permission from their owner.) They froze when they saw me. Then one cat grabbed the baby and ran. The other vanished. As soon as they disappeared Dumpling all but jumped in my arms, quiet and distraught.
I was very proud of 4.5 month old Dumpling for trying to call for help. I was more impressed that she was putting on the injured mama bird act to distract the cats.
It took a handful of blueberries to calm her down.
Does anyone else have a brave chicken story?

Last edited:
What a good girl she is! To bad the little bird got taken by the cat.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom