soupy poops

wife2abirdman

Songster
11 Years
May 4, 2008
Houlton Maine
My Coop
My Coop
My chickens were awful skinny so I started giving them alfalfa cubes with their food. They have since in the last month gained weight but their poop is very runny. It is a decent color just some are really runny and others are more solid. Is there something I can add to their food? I still want to give them the alfalfa because they are still not where I wan them to be so I would prefer to give them alfalfa, but I have since started to give them a little less and not necessarily every day.

Runny poops are mostly caused by them drinking a lot of water, but it may be something else. Here's the infamous poop chart for comparison and causes:

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Have you dewormed them?

If you want them to put on weight give them flock raiser and scratch grains. The flock raiser has a high protein content and scratch is much loved by chickens, they'll gobble it up!

They are various ages-13 weeks to 2 yrs
Runny poops are mostly caused by them drinking a lot of water, but it may be something else. Here's the infamous poop chart for comparison and causes:

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Have you dewormed them?

If you want them to put on weight give them flock raiser and scratch grains. The flock raiser has a high protein content and scratch is much loved by chickens, they'll gobble it up!

Thank you, that helps very much! I guess they are all very normal. I had thought some of those more runny ones weren't so normal but I guess they are. I did get a game bird grain, I will have to look for a flock raiser. The scratch grain they have here is just corn, oats and wheat they do love it. I was giving it to them but then they would ignore their food (I thought that was part of their weight loss) so I stopped for awhile. Like I said they are gaining quite nicely now I just wasn't sure if the poop was normal, but I guess it is.
I have not wormed them, I have been super busy lately so haven't really thought about it.

Back
Top Bottom