soupy poops

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wife2abirdman, Dec 17, 2012.

1. wife2abirdman

wife2abirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Houlton Maine
    My Coop
    My chickens were awful skinny so I started giving them alfalfa cubes with their food. They have since in the last month gained weight but their poop is very runny. It is a decent color just some are really runny and others are more solid. Is there something I can add to their food? I still want to give them the alfalfa because they are still not where I wan them to be so I would prefer to give them alfalfa, but I have since started to give them a little less and not necessarily every day.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

How old are they?

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Runny poops are mostly caused by them drinking a lot of water, but it may be something else. Here's the infamous poop chart for comparison and causes:

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Have you dewormed them?

If you want them to put on weight give them flock raiser and scratch grains. The flock raiser has a high protein content and scratch is much loved by chickens, they'll gobble it up!

4. wife2abirdman

wife2abirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Houlton Maine
    My Coop
    They are various ages-13 weeks to 2 yrs
    Thank you, that helps very much! I guess they are all very normal. I had thought some of those more runny ones weren't so normal but I guess they are. I did get a game bird grain, I will have to look for a flock raiser. The scratch grain they have here is just corn, oats and wheat they do love it. I was giving it to them but then they would ignore their food (I thought that was part of their weight loss) so I stopped for awhile. Like I said they are gaining quite nicely now I just wasn't sure if the poop was normal, but I guess it is.
    I have not wormed them, I have been super busy lately so haven't really thought about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by