Sour crop and aspiration

Crissy7

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2020
I have a 1 year old hen with sour crop. I started treatment yesterday which includes isolation, Miconazole 2x per day, Greek yogurt and water with electrolytes. She doesn’t eat or drink so I have to feed her with a syringe. Will I be able to tell if she aspirates? She’s very lethargic and doesn’t move much.

Can you describe her and how her crop feels? Is it full and puffy? Check it first thing in the morning to see if it is emptying any. I would try and get her to drink on her own. How long has this been going on? How old is she, and does she lay eggs? What does she normally eat? What do her poops look like? Is she able to get up and walk around? Perhaps try her back with her flock to see if she will try to eat and drink.

She just sits in a perch or on the ground with her feathers fluffed. Her crop is squishy and large. I emptied the crop twice so far. Both times it smelled horrible. She has been laying eggs for about a month. She is 6 months old. She normally eats an all flock organic feed with occasional dried meal worms and black oil sunflower seeds. Her poops are liquid. I checked her vent and feel any egg. She hasn’t been walking around for about a day. She just lays down.

She sounds very sick. Stop the sunflower seeds. Do you have poultry granite grit available to her? I would not empty her crop or make her vomit. That can definitely cause choking and aspiration. Sometimes crop problems can be a result of other problems elsewhere in the body. Reproductive problem, worms, cancer, internal laying, and ascites are some of the possibilities. I would try offering electrolyte in her water, and dipping her beak to try and get her drinking on her own. Scrambled egg, Greek yogurt, and very watery chicken feed in small amounts are what I would offer. If you should lose her, doing a necropsy would be wise to find out what was wrong. This is a good article about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom