Sour crop and wry neck?

KirstenR

Hatching
Dec 3, 2018
Hi guys. I am having a bit of a chicken emergency and could really use some input. I have a three-year-old Rhode Island red who has been sick for the past week. I noticed that she did not eat when the other flock did, and finally pulled her out of the coop when I notice she was standing alone hunched over under a bush. I assume she had an impacted or sour crop due to the size of her crop and knowing that she hadn’t eaten much all week. I started treating her with apple cider vinegar water and olive oil. She is not interested in eating or drinking so I have had to feed her with a syringe. I have been massaging her crop a couple times a day and it is like a water balloon. I think I may feel pieces of straw but I’m not exactly sure. When I first brought her in, I tried to vomit her. That was traumatic for both of us and I do not wish to do that ever ever again. I started the antifungal medicine 12 hours ago and have just given her her second dose. After giving her anything with the syringe by mouth, she does the weird snake neck thing and it looks like she is trying to get something down in her throat. She constantly acts like she’s burping up or vomiting up and when I hold her upright I could hear a large amount of air come out of her beak. She doesn’t have stinky beak, but when I vomited her, it was very apparent that it was sour and gross dark green color. She has a considerable kink to the left side of her neck. I am worried that it is not allowing her to take any food or water on her own unless I stretch her neck out and tube feed her. Is this a symptom of sour crop or is it wry neck also? I did want to point out that she was given nothing but clear fluids for 24 hours and her crop has gone down about half. I syringe fed her some yogurt and olive Oil tonight but she had a hard time getting it down and immediately wanted to sleep. She has had dark green water diarrhea, so I know how important it is to keep her hydrated. How can I make my little girl feel better?

Attachments

• BE0EBA76-C2DC-44CF-B365-F6109ED62D99.jpeg
    BE0EBA76-C2DC-44CF-B365-F6109ED62D99.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 61
Sorry about your girl. Can we see a photo of her from the front? That bulge on her neck is odd. What anti fungal medicine are you giving her? I was advised to provide “anti yeast” foods like kale and Leon juice with cayenne & cinnamon to a hen with a doughy crop and it helped. I would probably not vomit her again if her crop size reduced on its own, as you run the risk of aspirating her. If she will take it, my understanding is that poultry grade acidified copper sulfate in the drinkingvwater is the best remedy for sour crop. Otherwise, vaginal yeast cream, since it’s meant to be used internally. Good luck!

I just ordered the copper sulfate and hope it will be here in the next couple days. I am giving her over the counter Monistat to treat the fungus. I made her a mixture of cinnamon cayenne pepper garlic olive oil and hope to feed it to her soon but it is hard to even get water down at this point. I tried to pick her up to get a front picture of the neck and her she started gagging so I think she’s had enough of me messing with her tonight.

I started the antifungal medicine 12 hours ago and have just given her her second dose. After giving her anything with the syringe by mouth, she does the weird snake neck thing and it looks like she is trying to get something down in her throat. She constantly acts like she’s burping up or vomiting up and when I hold her upright I could hear a large amount of air come out of her beak. She doesn’t have stinky beak, but when I vomited her, it was very apparent that it was sour and gross dark green color. She has a considerable kink to the left side of her neck.

I did want to point out that she was given nothing but clear fluids for 24 hours and her crop has gone down about half.
Welcome To BYC!
I'm sorry to hear about your hen.

If the crop is airy and sour, then I would continue with getting her hydrated and using the antifungal cream. You've only given it to her 2X, let it do it's work.
Crop issues take time and patience to resolve.
If you feel that the sourness was caused by slow or partially impacted crop due to straw or other fibrous material, you can also give her 1 stool softener (stimulant free) to see if that will help break down what's in there.
Water, your medicine and massage. If the crop is down to half the size you are making progress.

At 3 years old, when was the last time she laid an egg? Do you notice any swelling, bloat or fluid in the abdomen? Often crop issues are just a symptom of an underlying condition like reproductive problems, worms, coccidiosis overload and infection.

Patience in getting the crop cleared is key. I would also be a good idea to get a fecal float to rule out worms and coccidiosis if at all possible.
Read the following article it has very good practical tips/suggestions that are easy to follow: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Food - wet feed only!

I’ve checked hers and the rest of the flocks poo and don’t see signs of worms or parasites. I did de-worm them within the last month with DE. She’s the only one not feeling well. She last layed 12 days ago. The only swelling I feel is her crop. The neck bend is definitely bone and not soft tissue. Unfortunately, the nearest vet that will see chickens is across state lines and an hour away. I have read so many posts and feel desperate to help her and am doing multiple things at once. I’m worried I am over doing it with her and trying not to send her into shock like when I vomited her. I plan to continue the anti-fungal meds and crop massage and fluid intake by syringe. Is it too soon to introduce vitamins or the cinammon/cayenne pepper/garlic mix? I know she wouldn’t even touch kale right now. Just what I can force her to drink. I just want her to feel better, but don’t want to be too aggressive with many treatments.

I’ve checked hers and the rest of the flocks poo and don’t see signs of worms or parasites. I did de-worm them within the last month with DE. She’s the only one not feeling well. She last layed 12 days ago.

I have read so many posts and feel desperate to help her and am doing multiple things at once. I’m worried I am over doing it with her and trying not to send her into shock like when I vomited her.

Is it too soon to introduce vitamins or the cinammon/cayenne pepper/garlic mix? I know she wouldn’t even touch kale right now. Just what I can force her to drink. I just want her to feel better, but don’t want to be too aggressive with many treatments.
You need to be patient.
Trying too many things all at once just stresses out you and the hen.
You have to give medication and methods time to work.
Keeping her hydrated and offering a wet mash of feed only is the best. No adding kale, scratch or anything else.

I'm sorry, but DE is not effective as a de-wormer. If you can get a fecal float that would be good.
Since she has not laid an egg in 12 days, feel her abdomen for bloat/swelling or fluid.
She may be having some internal laying or reproductive problems.

Photos of her poop would be helpful.

Thanks Wyorp Rock. I've just read up on the proper way to de-worm chickens. I've always been told that DE was sufficient, but alas, I was misinformed! I am running to the feed store to get Safe-guard for everyone. I'm going to give it to my ill bird as well, just in case I'm missing a galeworm or something in her, as I read it can cause them to make distorted neck movements and gagging, which she has. As for the poop, it was just plain dark green diarrhea last night, but will check when I get home and post a photo. Thank you so much for all of your help and knowledge!

Thanks Wyorp Rock. I've just read up on the proper way to de-worm chickens. I've always been told that DE was sufficient, but alas, I was misinformed! I am running to the feed store to get Safe-guard for everyone. I'm going to give it to my ill bird as well, just in case I'm missing a galeworm or something in her, as I read it can cause them to make distorted neck movements and gagging, which she has. As for the poop, it was just plain dark green diarrhea last night, but will check when I get home and post a photo. Thank you so much for all of your help and knowledge!
I hope she recovers soon, please keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom