Sour Crop CURED with Monistat

Pics
She gave her fluids, dextrose, baytril, and steroids. She couldn't stand and when I was rushing her to the vet, her comb was turning purple. My other one is going in today and hopefully she will make it.
That treatment sounds to me like treatment for septic shock.

-Kathy

I'm very sorry if this thread has caused anyone's birds any harm. I'll see if I can contact the site admin. to have this thread taken down so I don't harm anyone else's birds.

According to the box that I used the suppository only contained: Gelatin, Glycerin, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil Base, and Titanium Dioxide. The cream that also comes in the box does contain Propylene Glycol but I did not use, or suggest using the cream portion of the treatment, only the suppositories.
I have given the cream to my birds and haven't killed them, but they did actually have a yeast infection rather than an underlying disease, which is probably what Melinda653's hen had.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I certainly appreciate all the responses to this post. My six week leghorn has sour crop and for two days I was worried about her lethargy. I picked her up and she puked all over me and it was rank! I have followed advice from here and hopefully she will improve. Thank you so much!

I had a 1 year old Black Australorp develop sour crop this last spring. I called 3 vets and a local State chicken research center and got absolutely no help. One of the vets was honest enough to state that she had taken 1 hour of poultry management as an elective while in school, and that I probably knew more about poultry than she. She did however, tell me that the infection was basically the same in women and what I was telling her that my Australorp had. I bought some Monistat 5, made her vomit and made little pills that fit on the end of a toothpick. The Monistat melts right in their throat due to their high body temp. I gave her 2 "pills" a day for 4 days and fed her plain yogurt mixed with her pellets. The sour crop cleared up in what I thought was a nearly dead chicken. She then developed a bacterial infection that I treated with penicillin for 5 days. That was nearly 4 months ago and she is as good as new and feels the need to tell everybody about it (never shuts up:)

I would very much like to thank the poster who took the time to submit the Monistat post. Gabby is alive and doing well thanks to you.

I had a 1 year old Black Australorp develop sour crop this last spring. I called 3 vets and a local State chicken research center and got absolutely no help. One of the vets was honest enough to state that she had taken 1 hour of poultry management as an elective while in school, and that I probably knew more about poultry than she. She did however, tell me that the infection was basically the same in women and what I was telling her that my Australorp had. I bought some Monistat 5, made her vomit and made little pills that fit on the end of a toothpick. The Monistat melts right in their throat due to their high body temp. I gave her 2 "pills" a day for 4 days and fed her plain yogurt mixed with her pellets. The sour crop cleared up in what I thought was a nearly dead chicken. She then developed a bacterial infection that I treated with penicillin for 5 days. That was nearly 4 months ago and she is as good as new and feels the need to tell everybody about it (never shuts up:)

I would very much like to thank the poster who took the time to submit the Monistat post. Gabby is alive and doing well thanks to you.
Glad she is better and welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom