Sour Crop CURED with Monistat

After just 3 doses of the monistat 3, my hen was eating and drinking again. Her hawk wound has healed and some new feathers are coming in. Her eye on that side is back to normal. I thought she had lost it. The new problem was that the flock did not want her back. It took about 3 days of letting them come out of the pen and meander down to the porch to join my wounded hen before I dared to put her in with them. She learned to survive by going low when they went high (slept in the nest box for 2 nights) and going high when they went low(stayed on the roost during the day. Now she is living amongst them but is definitely at the bottom of the ranks.Thanks everyone for the help. I only let them out of the pen for short periods under supervision. I don't want any more hawk attacks.

If that worked, I wonder if just plain yogurt would do the trick? Most anything that you would use these cremes on can also be fixed by just using yogurt with live cultures. If I ever have one on one of my guys I'll have to try that. Great tip though!

Sorry to report plain yogurt wont kill the yeast infection that makes sour crop. It's kind of a candida relative. If monostat works for others, I'd give that a try then after she's recovered offer yogurt. My pet hen developed thrush which is a curdy mass in the mouth and throat making swallowing difficult. Apparently it is also called sour crop when it gets in the crop. I'm avoiding anything sweet which feeds candida, though raisins are one of the only foods she can pick up and keep in her mouth and try to swallow on her own, otherwise it's force feeding. I've been using vegetible and fruit plus protein smoothy powder mixed with a little coconut oil and making little pellets to jam into her mouth. It's keeping her alive. She looks so bad we thought of putting her down, but she hasn't given up so I can't either. It's been gradually worstening over a month. I will give monostat a try

Sorry to report plain yogurt wont kill the yeast infection that makes sour crop. It's kind of a candida relative. If monostat works for others, I'd give that a try then after she's recovered offer yogurt. My pet hen developed thrush which is a curdy mass in the mouth and throat making swallowing difficult. Apparently it is also called sour crop when it gets in the crop. I'm avoiding anything sweet which feeds candida, though raisins are one of the only foods she can pick up and keep in her mouth and try to swallow on her own, otherwise it's force feeding. I've been using vegetible and fruit plus protein smoothy powder mixed with a little coconut oil and making little pellets to jam into her mouth. It's keeping her alive. She looks so bad we thought of putting her down, but she hasn't given up so I can't either. It's been gradually worstening over a month. I will give monostat a try
Welcome to BYC! If you think your hen has a yeast infection you could try treating her with ketoconazole for fish.

Just want to add that this treatment also worked on my Isa Brown. It was over the Christmas Holidays and no vet available, I was desperate. After reading the previous posts and felt 100% sure my bird had sour crop, I did manage to get a piece of the monistat suppository and some watered down yogurt down her throat. She seemed to recover quickly. Thanks for your post!

THANK YOU robinwiththechickens! And others who contributed to this thread. You helped saved my pet hen's life!!!! She's the last of my chickens, given to me by a now-deceased friend; so she means a lot to me.
Two or three months ago I noticed she was not looking well and refusing to eat any treats. She'd stopped laying eggs (she's a 6-year-old old Golden Comet but she started laying again when winter ended). Her poops were sparse and watery. I noticed when she bent her head down to attempt to take a drink or eat a treat, water would come out of her mouth. I picked her up for an examination and could tell she'd lost weight and that her crop seemed swollen. When I pried open her mouth to check inside she spewed out a foul-smelling, watery, brownish colored liquid that contained some long grass strands. I did online research and realized she likely had sour crop. I read on this thread about the Monistat 3 cure but I was very hesitant to give her human medicine. For about a week I tried, every day or two, gently massaging her crop and very gently and carefully helping her to vomit. She always vomited out liquid, a bit thicker than water. She did smell a bit bad. She lost weight, stopped roosting, would sleep in a nesting box and eventually would not go outside of the coop when I opened the door each morning. Her bright red comb flopped down, turned very blue and seemed to shrink a lot. At one point I thought she would die for sure if I didn't try something. She would not leave the nesting box and was just laying inside it with her wings held away from her body, eyes half-closed and her beak open, sort of panting. I bought Monistat 3, cut each pill into thirds and, after helping her vomit to empty her crop a bit, I gave her a third of a pill in the morning and a third of a pill at night. It seemed to help immediately. I did this for nine days until I used up the package but apparently it wasn't a long enough treatment. Within a few days she seemed ill again. I got two more boxes. I could only get suppository capsules so I had to cut off the hard shell on each then carefully divide each into thirds. I did find if I mashed the medicine into some bread and milk she would eat it without having to open her beak and make her eat it. While she was recovering I offered her daily treats like sardines, cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt mixed into wheat bread and corn meal, blueberries, etc... While I was nursing her I read someone on this forum suggest worming could help sour crop. I never wormed my chickens before. I got Wazine liquid wormer, mixed it into her drinking water jug one morning, according to the dosage, and that seemed to really bring her back to normal even quicker. She made a full recovery, her comb became large, straight and bright red again and within a few weeks she even laid several eggs! Her recovery was astounding. Sorry I didn't take before and after photos. I gave her the Wazine wormer again, 30 days later. She's doing very well now, looks healthy and has gained back her lost weight. She still will only sleep in her nesting box (not on the roost). She seems to have chronic diarrhea now and stopped laying eggs but she's pretty old for a Golden Comet. She's outlived the three other Golden Comet chickens I've had. Overall, she's doing okay for her age. Thank you so much. Monistat 3 and Wazine liquid wormer can cure sour crop!!! Please Backyard Chickens, NEVER REMOVE THIS THREAD!!!

After 2 weeks of trying every other sour crop treatment with no signs of improvement, I got desperate and tried something unproven. After learning that sour crop is a form of yeast infection and reading that some others had treated with Clortrimazole (found in Lotrimin and Mycelex) , I decided to try it. However, I was unable to locate any in my small town. So, with the hen in danger of dying already, I purchased a generic box of Monistat 3 (for about $5) which contains Miconazole Nitrate and decided to give it a try.

The box contained 3 suppositories and a tube of external cream. I cut the suppositories in thirds and fed the hen one third each morning, and one third each evening until all 9 pieces were gone. I continued syringe feeding yogurt, boiled egg yolk, and gruel made from finely ground chicken feed and water.

I am happy to say our hen has made a full recovery! I thought others might find this helpful.

did you feed just the liquid in the pill or the whole pill suppository??

Old post,, i understand but i wanted to update.. This cure IS the cure.. Don't even vomit your chicken.. The risk outweighs the benefit.. Just treat with Monestat... But treat fot at least 5 days even if they are cured.. It will come back if not treated long enough, just like humans and medications.. If you stop too earl, it can come back immediately.. Thank you for your time.. -Trish

After 2 weeks of trying every other sour crop treatment with no signs of improvement, I got desperate and tried something unproven. After learning that sour crop is a form of yeast infection and reading that some others had treated with Clortrimazole (found in Lotrimin and Mycelex) , I decided to try it. However, I was unable to locate any in my small town. So, with the hen in danger of dying already, I purchased a generic box of Monistat 3 (for about $5) which contains Miconazole Nitrate and decided to give it a try.

The box contained 3 suppositories and a tube of external cream. I cut the suppositories in thirds and fed the hen one third each morning, and one third each evening until all 9 pieces were gone. I continued syringe feeding yogurt, boiled egg yolk, and gruel made from finely ground chicken feed and water.

I am happy to say our hen has made a full recovery! I thought others might find this helpful.
How old or how big is your bird? I have a slate chick a little more than two months that is getting sour crop. I bought Monistat and have placed a large dog kennel in the coop to control what she eats and drinks during her treatment but still allowing her to be near mom. Her crop is very squishy and when I massaged it I do notice an odor. Also, how did you get your bird to take the piece of suppository? Thanks for any advice you have for me.

How old or how big is your bird? I have a slate chick a little more than two months that is getting sour crop. I bought Monistat and have placed a large dog kennel in the coop to control what she eats and drinks during her treatment but still allowing her to be near mom. Her crop is very squishy and when I massaged it I do notice an odor. Also, how did you get your bird to take the piece of suppository? Thanks for any advice you have for me.
That member hasn't been around for 6 years, but I can tel you how I administered the monistat(miconazole). I used the cream and mixed about an 1-2" long squirt of it into crumble feed, letting it sit in a warm place until it was absorbed in the crumble. She chowed it right down.

Going to try it now. I have a 10 week old chicken. It may be impacted, but I’m going to try.

Back
Top Bottom